• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this doable using the Acrobat SDK? If so, how do I do it?

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite new to using the acrobat SDK, so I am wondering what might be the solution here. I have a website and a database that tracks the status of individual published documents, and things obviously change over time and they were made legacy. Is it possible that I dynamically add a watermark with some text saying "Legacy" or something along those lines by dynamically manipulating the file on a client side script based on say, a js array query pulled from the db?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not possible. JS in PDF files can't access a database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I have a site that can access a db, and use that site to pull the pdf file and manipulate it, is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a server side solution. Acrobat is not suitable or licensed for server use, so that's out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the PDF the server, populate it with the data from the DB on-the-fly and then serve it to the user it could work, but I don't see how that is a solution to your issue, as the file won't be able to update itself later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that is precisely what I need. I can simply add a date stamp to when it was accessed and what status it was at that time and that would be good enough. I just don't want people saving legacy files and using them with no idea that it may no longer be current. Yes, it won't update itself when saved, but I can't prevent people from printing pages either so I am less so concerned as that will always be a problem with a copy that is not provided by the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What would be a high level guide line how that can be done?

Say I already have the status of the file in js - how would I populate it on a page with a PDF object that acts as if it is a PDF being opened on the browser? Or would it need to actually save the PDF file in a temporary directory when the user accesses it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines