Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JavaScript automation to add add-on tool to the toolbar

Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am a complete beginner in developing Acrobat functionalities, and I had been given a task of adding a button to the toolbar, which on pressing would display a pop-up, using Javascript. I was able to add a button to the add-on toolbar and then I manually added the button from the add-on tools to the toolbar. I have been asked if this manual addition could be automated, I went through the Javascript API reference and found that it provides the execMenuItem method but it only is able to perform some commands such as Save As. Could it be possible to write a script that would automate the manual addition ? The manual addition that I am talking about is Going to View -> Show/Hide -> Toolbar Items -> Customize Quick Tools

I am aware that we can add a button to the toolbar directly using plugins but that would require developing in C++, and our team is trying to explore functionalities that could be achieved using JS scripts

Thanks

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Unfortunately there is no way to add a button to the QuickTools bar with JavaScript. I don't even think it could be done with a plug-in.  The QuickTools buttons are stored in JSON format in a UserPrefs file named "UserPrefs_Acrobat.txt", along with many other user preferences.  These are loaded when Acrobat starts up and saved when Acrobat shuts down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately there is no way to add a button to the QuickTools bar with JavaScript. I don't even think it could be done with a plug-in.  The QuickTools buttons are stored in JSON format in a UserPrefs file named "UserPrefs_Acrobat.txt", along with many other user preferences.  These are loaded when Acrobat starts up and saved when Acrobat shuts down. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines