• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JS Collection Demo

Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the Adobe Acrobat DC SDK Samples Guide refers to a JS Collection Demo containing a number of javascript snippets (the contents of which are briefly described therein), I have been unable to find this collection anywhere online allegedly provided in PDF. As the Acrobat SDK samples guide appears to have been created/written in February 2021, I am somewhat surprised that I have been unsuccessful to date in being able to find the JS Collection Demo. If anyone knows where I can find and secure a copy of the PDF online containing the scripts, I would be most grateful? Thank you ahead of time.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

I wanted to personally thank BarlaeDC for the reply to my question regarding the JSCollectionDemo.pdf. FWIW, your attachment was all I needed. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in perusing the popup menu script in that I was hopng I would learn something about creating a popup mnu I didn't aleady know. Thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install the SDK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It is in the SDK under the JavaScriptSupportFolder and is called "Acrobat SDK JavaScript Samples Portfolio.pdf", I think that is what you are after and it is in the SDK as mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I presently do not have the SDK installed on my computer even though I have Acrobat 2017. I am assuming I can download and install the current SDK for free from the Adobe website. Correct? This aside, I am surprised the JS samples portfolio wasn't included in the Acrobat documents download containing (15) SDK docs in PDF format or am I missing something? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, you need the SDK. The SDK may not be what you think it is. It's just a collection of docs, samples, header files and stuff like that. It doesn't provide any processing - that's done by Acrobat. (This is the usual thing for SDKs. For example, the Windows SDK describes how to automate the copy of Windows you already have). The SDK is currently free. 

I found the download of docs as PDF. https://opensource.adobe.com/dc-acrobat-sdk-docs/acrobatsdk/documentation.html Ironically, they used to all be in PDF format, but switched more than 10 years ago to a maddening collection of HTML docs. Now they are back to PDF. The SDK has been essentially frozen except for a trickle of "needed for a new feature" stuff for 15 years. I observe the download page says "The SDK library is rapidly evolving." This could be an interesting time for those of us who'd got used to it being frozen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarlaeDC was right on in that the JS Portfolio Collection is provided in the latest SDK created in 2021 that I was able to download from the Adobe website. Once again, I am quite surprised that Adobe didn't include the JS Portfolio in the zip file of all the other PDF docs. Unfortunately, my only issue is that I am rusty and not well versed in using the Acrobat JS console that I believe is required in order to open/view and run the scripts contained in the portfolio collection. Any suggestions on where to find instructions for using the console to access/run the scripts? Thank you ahead of time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured out how to install (or so I thought) all the .js files into the javascript subdirecory created under my acrobat 2017 folder. Following the installation, a display window indicated a successful installation. However, when I navigated to the javascript folder, the alleged .js files were nowhere to be found. In reality, there are only two files in the folder, namely debugger.js and JSByteCodeWin.bin. Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the .js files in the collection were installed separately in the javascript folder. Am I missing something or is there a possible glitch in the installation process I am unaware of? Thank you ahead of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the window displayed after installation of the .js files where for some unknown reason the .js files fail to appear in the adobe acrobat javascript folder. Anyone else by chance experience any issues pertaining to installing the JS portfolio collection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message does not say it appears in the Acrobat JavaScripts folder (a protected folder that normal users cannot write). The message says something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The message specifically states and I quote, 'Folder level javascript samples successfully copied to the user Javascript folder'. If for some reason you are unable to view the jpeg image I previously provided, please refrain from providing any additional comments. I have been using Acrobat Pro since it first debuted in 1993 and to the best of my recollection, the user Javascript folder has always been a subdirectory of the version of Acrobat installed whether Acrobat 6, 7, 8,....X, XI, or 2017. Once again, the sample JS files were no where to be found in the user Javascript folder. Anyone else by chance expereince this issue? Thank you ahead of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of the user Javascript folder/subdirectory with two existing files only as opposed to the sample .js files that were allegedly successfully installed to the folder via the console. I rest my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen shot shows c:\program files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2017\Acrobat\JavaScripts - the app folder.

Your message says "User JavaScript folder", not "App JavaScript folder".

Why do you insist that these are the same folder? Please use app.getPath to find the correct location of the user folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it appears I stand corrected as I wrongly assumed this to be a matter of semantics whereby the user Javascript folder and Javascript folders were one and the same. According to your reply and from what I have read regarding the changes Adobe has made over the years regarding folders/direcrories (Note: I essentially rely on the API reference stored elsewhere on my PC), it appears they have more than one javascript folder, a fact I wasn't aware of. Surprisingly, I have looked all over the place and am unable to locate a user javascript folder on my PC if in fact it's supposed to exist. What's even more ironic is that I recently downloaded and installed the latest Adobe SDK that includes nothing related to a user javascript folder. What say u?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add that the supposed path to the location of the user javascript folder is no where to be found on my PC, Figure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 'Test Screen Name'. I soon determined that I had to create the user javascript folder given the path provided by the console. For whatever reason, the folder wasn't there. While I am not superstitious, it appears that I have a black cloud over my head. FWIW, the folder name provided by the installation program is 'javascripts' not 'user javascript', Figure? I would really like to meet the individual/s that wrote the samples guide and  instruction for the installation. While the user javascript folder is in an entirely different location, it would be beneficial to know that apart from different folder locations, the application and user folder names are one and the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both folders are named "Javascripts". One is called "user javascripts folder", because it's user-specific and the other is the "app javascripts folder" because it is shared by all users.

In the recent version of Acrobat the installer does not create the user folder by default, in some instances (depending on the OS and version of Acrobat), so it has to be created manually. This is not something specific to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this article. It explains everything about the JavaScript folders.

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Installing_Automation_Tools.cfm

And you'll find a tutorial on the console window here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Free_Videos.cfm#JSIntro

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Both folders are named "Javascripts". One is called "user javascripts folder", because it's user-specific and the other is the "app javascripts folder" because it is shared by all users'. Understood. I just believe it would have been more intuitive (especially for first time users) if Adobe had better differentiaated between the two Javascript folders rather than relying on different folder locations containing the same names. FWIW, a certain individual by the name of Joel Spolsky, a software engineer who worked for MS, made a very good case for situations similar to this in a book he had written about twenty years on the subject of user testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a question of permissions, more than anything. One folder is located under "C:\Program Files", which all users have access to, and the other is located under the sub-folder of the individual user, under C:\Users\, which only that user (and the admin) has access to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is what it is. It's pointless to debate. Its much more productive to spend your's (and our) time figuring out how to accomplish your task within the parameters of the Acrobat environment, not arguing about those parameters, cause they are not going to change.  

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Not arguing or debating. Just commenting. Didn't intend to get anyone's nose out of joint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last question. Has anyone been able to retrieve and install the sample popup menu JS allegedly featured in the JSCollectionDemo? FWIW, the path provided is: JavaScriptSupport/Acrobat SDK JavaScript Samples Portfolio.pdf/Home/JavaScript Samples/EmbeddedJavaScript/. However, the only thing available that I have been able to find to date and install are the .js files provided in the JS Samples Portfolio PDF. Other than that, I cannot seeem to find anything pertaining to the JSCollectionDemo that contains the sample popup menu JS. If I am missing something, please let me know. Thank you ahead of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you select the menu item - "Save Portfolio as webpage", this creates a shockingly bad folder structure of all the files in the portfolio, and if you look through those files you should find "JSCollectionDemo.pdf" that has the sample you mention above, I have attached it but I know that doesn't always work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to personally thank BarlaeDC for the reply to my question regarding the JSCollectionDemo.pdf. FWIW, your attachment was all I needed. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in perusing the popup menu script in that I was hopng I would learn something about creating a popup mnu I didn't aleady know. Thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have added 'correct answer' to my previous reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines