Exit

Limit page navigation in form

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Odd question...

I am trying to limit users of a PDF mental health survey form to navigate through the pages with only the "next" and "back" buttons I provide for them on each page. This is because I don't want them to see future pages without first responding to the yes / no question on each page (the flow from one question to the next is very important).

I have the survey set to open in presentation mode (an Indesign option) so they do not see the scrollbar in Acrobat Reader to discourage switching pages without answering the question, but I wish I could completely limit it.

Is there a way to stop them from switching pages using the scroll wheel on their mouse or their keyboard without answering the page question and then pushing the "next" / "back" button?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to achieve something like it with a script, but it's a pretty ugly solution. I would not recommend you pursue it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey try67,

Maybe it's very very ugly… I'm interested in such a script 🙂
I'm also strugling with something like this. I have a form that should first be prepared by a user before he can continue to go to the next page of the PDF.

I put some javascript in the page close event of my first page that if a certain variable is not set the page should go back to page 1. but the event does not seems to listen to this.pageNum = 0 in this state.

Any idea how to get that restriction?

(plain Acrobat DC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the way to do it, but it's quite easy to get around it. For example, by typing a different page number in the toolbar, or by being a bit insistent with the mouse scroller or even by pressing the End key. It's very unreliable and really should not be used at all. A better option is to convert the pages to Templates and hide them, until they are needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx 67,

I'm already looking in the template way of working…

But how do you then organize the FORM preparing? In which state do you create the templates from the pages.

What when the client requests other corrections?

Should you prepare a standard deploy function for this? Can you describe flows for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it at any moment. When done working on the form simply hide the Templates and save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind most people won't open it in Reader, and your tools for controlling and limiting just won't apply. Even in Reader, JavaScript is often turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to make such PDF documents, in which the user cannot change the page other than with the buttons placed on the pages. But it only works with Acrobat Reader version DC or version XI.
My process is not a hack (Hi Gilad 😉 ), it is reliable and completely orthodox.

I could show you an example, contact me privately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work in Acrobat Reader DC on Android or iOS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, MacOS and Windows only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, if you use a complex scripting solution that works not only on Page Close but also on Page Open then it's possible to achieve it even without Templates. But I can still disable JavaScript and browse the file to my heart's content... That's why I think it's not worth the trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines