• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mailto; CC, Subject area with textfield

May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I really need some expertise. I have developed a PDF Template with a button "SEND", the purpose of this button is to send the entire template (PDF) to a certain email and a certain CC mail. This is no problem to compute in adobe x pro. But, I also want to incorporate subject area in the mail. This subject area must refer to a specific textbox in the template.

Example:

Mailto: "Test@test.com"

Cc: "test2@test.com"

Subject Test9010 (Generate from the entered data in the template).

Does anyone have a suitable solutions? I have almost searched the entire google and forums for solutions.

Thanks in advance,

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Good catch. Yes, "subject" should not be used because it interferes with an old property of the 'Doc" object (Acrobat DC SDK Documentation - Doc.subject()​)

Just rename all instances of the variable "subject" to "theSubject" and you should be OK:

1. var theSubject = this.getField("Text2").value; 
  3. this.mailDoc({ 
  4.   bUI: false
  5.   cTo: "test@test.com"
  6.   cCC: "test2@test.com"
  7.   cSubject: theSubject, 
  8.   cMsg: "Number" 
  9. });

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That requires using a script. See here for more details: https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/dynamically-setting-submit-e-mail-address

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already tried this link, but I still have problems.

Do you know how to make it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the script you've tried to use. What exactly happens? Are you getting errors? You may want to check the JavaScript console (Ctrl-J or Cmd-J) for errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried:

In url:mailto:[emailaddress]?subject=

and as javaScript I have tried:

this.mailDoc(true, "test@test.com",

"test2@test.com");

But I don't know have to include the subject area which must be depend of one textboxes in the form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the documentation for Doc.mailDoc():

Acrobat DC SDK Documentation  - Doc.mailDoc()

The subject needs to be passed in via a parameter to the function call. There is one example in the documentation that demonstrates that:

this.mailDoc({

bUI: false,

cTo: "apstory@example.com",

cCC: "dpsmith@example.com",
      cSubject: "The Latest News",

cMsg: "A.P., attached is my latest news story in PDF."

});

To add a subject that depends on some other information in your form, you will have to use a variable:

var subject = "no subject specified";

if (this.getField("CheckBox").value == "Off") {

subject = "this is one subject";

}

else {

subject = "this is another subject";

}

this.mailDoc({

cTo: "apstory@example.com",

cCC: "dpsmith@example.com",
      cSubject: subject,

cMsg: "A.P., attached is my latest news story in PDF."

});

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

var subject ="no subject specified";

if (this.getField ("Text2").value=="Off"){

subject="This is one subject";}

this.mailDoc({

cTo: "test@test.com",

cCC: "test2@test.com",

cMsg: "Number"

});

There is no error, but the outlook do not open when I press my button "SEND".

The subject I want in the subject area in outlook is "Text2" in the pdf form. "Text2" is number that specify the pdf unique.

Do you have any suggestion how to solve this?

Thanks a lot so far.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend you rename the "subject" variable to something else, first of

all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting it. What should replace it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to rename the variable. "subject" is not a name that is used in the document or event object, so there is no conflict that could potentially cause the problem you are seeing. Your problem is caused by trying to change my code without a good understanding of what it tried to do. You cannot copy&paste things you find without understanding of what the code is doing. Do yourself a favor and learn about the core JavaScript language. Your code was testing to see if the field "Text2" contained the value "Off" - and only then would it try to send an email. My original code assumed that "CheckBox" was a checkbox field, and returned two values: "Off" when the checkbox was not selected, and something different for the selected state, and it would use one subject string in one case, and a different one in the other case.

The Field.value property for a checkbox is either "Off", or the specified expert value (the default is "Yes"), the same property for a text field is the string that was entered into the field. In that case, you don't have to use an "if" statement, you can assign the value directly to the "subject" variable (or even directly to the "cSubject" parameter when the function is called. Try the following, it will read the value of your text field, and will use it as the subject line in your email submission:

var subject = this.getField("Text2").value;

this.mailDoc({

cTo: "test@test.com",

cCC: "test2@test.com",

cMsg: "Number"

});

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to rename the variable. "subject" is not a name that is used in the document or event object, so there is no conflict that could potentially cause the problem you are seeing.

You're wrong. There is an internal property of the Document object called "subject" (see p. 266 of the JavaScript for Acrobat API Reference, XI version), and even though it's no longer in use it still exists and should not be overwritten. Also, since it's a read-only property in Reader it might cause the script to fail there entirely, or produce the wrong results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch. Yes, "subject" should not be used because it interferes with an old property of the 'Doc" object (Acrobat DC SDK Documentation - Doc.subject()​)

Just rename all instances of the variable "subject" to "theSubject" and you should be OK:

1. var theSubject = this.getField("Text2").value; 
  3. this.mailDoc({ 
  4.   bUI: false
  5.   cTo: "test@test.com"
  6.   cCC: "test2@test.com"
  7.   cSubject: theSubject, 
  8.   cMsg: "Number" 
  9. });

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2016 May 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Karl Heniz! It works perfectly!

I'am quite new in this forum, is there any place I can rate your valuable your help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2016 May 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can click on the "Correct Answer" button below the reply that answered your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - Do you know how to add 2 fields from the form into the subject line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the example given above, use something like this:

var theSubject = this.getField("Text2").value + " " + this.getField("Text3").value;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! I now have the request to add the words   Product Order  before the above code. I tried this but then only the words Product Order show up in the subject line.

var theSubject = "Product Order: " + this.getField("Account").value; this.getField("PO").valueAsString this.mailDoc({ bUI: false, cTo: "orders@Company.com", cSubject: theSubject, cMsg: "Please ensure that your account# and PO# are in the subject line." });

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the "+" operator between the values of the fields you want to add, not a semi-colon. Like this:

var theSubject = "Product Order: " + this.getField("Account").valueAsString + this.getField("PO").valueAsString;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and only Product Order shows in the subject line... what is incorrect?

var theSubject = "Product Order" + this.getField("Account").value + " " + this.getField("PO").valueAsString

this.mailDoc({

bUI: false, cTo: "orders@company.com",

cSubject: theSubject,

cMsg: "Please ensure that your account# and PO# are in the subject line."

});

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll need to see the file to help you further with this. As far as I can see it should include both values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! I won't be able to send the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a sample file with the same code and it works just fine. See: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q0HIda5IvmhCX6GDPxe_a3ckGGHOBXjQ/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. This will be helpful. I think the problem is that the java script in this form that was working yesterday isn't working today. Same form, nothing changed, now not working. Guess i need to solve that next. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines