Newby! Auto populate text field with statement by selecting drop-down menu

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently trying to create a form within PDF it will allow the user to select from the drop-down menu and based on the selection will auto populate a text field with a statement.  I would also like the user to be able to edit the statement‘ Once it has been auto-populated.

My drop-down menu “Shipdec2”

My text field “statdec1”

I would be grateful if you can assist.

I am a beginner in adobe

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Most Valuable Participant , Nov 08, 2017
try67 Most Valuable Participant , Nov 08, 2017
You can use something like this code as the custom validation script of the drop-down field:if (event.value == "Option 1") this.getField("statdec1").value = "Text for option 1";else if (event.value == "Option 2") this.getField("statdec1").value = "Text for option 2";else if (event.value == "Option 3") this.getField("statdec1").value = "Text for option 3";etc.Just make sure you tick the option to commit the selected value immediately (under the drop-down's Properties, Options tab), so the text fi...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use something like this code as the custom validation script of the drop-down field:

if (event.value == "Option 1") this.getField("statdec1").value = "Text for option 1";

else if (event.value == "Option 2") this.getField("statdec1").value = "Text for option 2";

else if (event.value == "Option 3") this.getField("statdec1").value = "Text for option 3";

etc.

Just make sure you tick the option to commit the selected value immediately (under the drop-down's Properties, Options tab), so the text field will update as soon as you make a selection.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything I need to put into the text box field ”statdec1”?

Also, will this allow the user to edit the statement that has been auto populated into “statdec1”?

Appreciate your time! I’m most grateful!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- No.

- Yes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything I need to add to the end of the script, like a bracket?

appreciate your assistance!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
chrisc24031039 AUTHOR LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked beautifully. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines