• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No dictionaries were found...

New Here ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I type a character (whether in Edit PDF or comment), I get a popup error saying "No dictionaries were found. your installation might be corrupted." When I close the popup, the rest of the session runs fine, and I don't get the error message until the next time I start a session and try to type something. I have run the repair tool from the installation software, and it didn't fix this error.

Any idea how to fix this?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

This worked for me on windows 11  * 10-26-2021

Go to Edit  :  Click Preferences 

:  Click Security ( Enhanced ) 

:   In sandbox Protected mode at startup (preview) " UNCLICK  "

:   Restart Adobe 

: Then Check, Edit ,Prefrences , check Spelling to See if works   

IF works     : Turn back on in sandbox protected mode at startup " CLICK ON "

:   Restart Adobe  

Should be golden 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jone5753251 ,

Try to download the Dictionary pack for your product from here - Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Windows . Scroll down the page to the bottom, there you will get the Add-ons section.After downloading,restart the computer.

Let us know if face any issue .

Thanks!

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam, the link you provided is for the free Adobe Reader DC (and older Reader versions), and not for Adobe Acrobat DC. The problem occurs in Adobe Acrobat DC (in my case, on a Mac running OS X 10.10.5). I doubt that the Reader dictionaries will help with this problem. There was never before the need to download dictionaries for Adobe Acrobat, so I would be surprised if that is a new requirement with Adobe Acrobat DC. Here is a screenshot of the message:

2016-06-02_17-03-01.png

Also, if this really would be fixed by downloading optional dictionaries, the error message should certainly not refer to a corrupt installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl ,

Certainly, this is not a requirement with Adobe Acrobat DC ,but before going for the re-installation process,adding dictionary manually could have fixed it.

@Jon , Kindly run the ccleaner tool from here - Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs. Then restart the computer and reinstall the Acrobat . If that doesn't fix the issue, try to create a new user account and see if it works.

Hope it helps

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, the dictionary download is only for Windows (it's an .msi installer file), so how would I try to add the dictionary on a Mac?

Running Acrobat as a new user on the same system shows the same problem, so it's not related to the user account, but seems to be caused by something on the system level.

The Cleaner tool also is Windows-only. Where are these dictionaries located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently actually couple days ago purchased a subscription from Adobe for acrobat dc and I already are seeing no dictionaries message on my Mac version of acrobat, what is the solution to this does anyone know Please ?

Is acrobat a product that is full of merry go round problems I certainly do not want this product as can do without the headache also do not want to pay for a professional program from a professional company that is unprofessionally marketed for sale in this manner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gregg9222507 ,

Try to enable root user and then reinstall Acrobat DC.

To enable root user,visit this link:Enabling and using the "root" user in OS X - Apple Support

Let us know if you face any issue.

Thank You!

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the case for Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 Seems like a problem with the installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I enabled the root user. Logged in as root. Uninstalled Acrobat. Reinstalled Acrobat. Logged out as root. Logged in as my normal user. Disabled root. Still getting the message.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really doubt that creating the root user is the key to getting this fixed: If Acrobat would require a root user to function properly, I assume that would be spelled out in the installation instructions, or explained during the installation. Anything else in Acrobat works correctly without enabling the root user, which not looking for these dictionaries (or installing them in the first place)?

The only time I’ve heard about enabling the root user is to fix installation problems (see here: Troubleshoot issues with updating Acrobat or Reader on Mac OS​) - this problem does not sound like your "normal" installation problem: Everything else got installed correctly, so we are not dealing with a situation that should require special rights.

I am also dealing with this problem. Let me repeat the question that I asked back in August: Where are these dictionaries located? Adorobat - any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a real answer for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on a Mac with the endless message, "No dictionaries were found. Your installation might be corrupted." I have also tried several solutions with no luck. Thanks to everyone that have offered ideas, but the error seems to remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been going for two years. Surely someone at Adobe should be providing an answer to this problem. That would be the meaning of "Customer Service", won't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gbolafort,

We're sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please install the latest patch of Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after updating Acrobat and see if you still get the error message.

What is the current version of Acrobat installed? To identify, refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

What is the version of the OS installed? (Mac/Windows).

Thanks for your time and patience thus far.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is now august 2019 and the same issue still exists !

I have windows 10 and Reader DC 2019.012.20035. I have the dictionary installed and yet every time i ask for spell check i see the same error message !!

i have carried out a repair install and also downloaded the latest add-in and installed that and rebooted the machine and still NO spell check

GUYS - PLEASE SORT THIS OUT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After running DC_Cleaner and then downloading and reinstalling DC, I still got the same error.  It even went to far as to tell me I had to buy a spelling pack.

I downloaded the English dictionary, and installed it.  It showed in the preferences, but still I got the message there was no dictionary installed.

I ended up uninstalling DC and going back to Adobe Reader XI, and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below steps worked for me:

Open only Adobe Acrobat, do not open any files.

1. Help--> Check for Updates

2. Then after the updates, Help--> Repair Acrobat Installation

3. Softwares installation repairs and system restart is required.

4. Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's refreshing to see an answer that doesn't require a degree "tech speak"

Thank you, @HabuTech!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the fix installation solution does not work.

The steps below worked for me:

• Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security  >
  • Turn off the Protected View and
  • Uncheck the Enhanced security
  • Click OK
  • Restart Adobe Acrobat
  • Check, Edit > Prefrences > Spelling
  • If this works, go back and turn on Enhanced Security

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gunsboy, that worked for me!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY, worked for me too. Thank you Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gunsboy I agree, your solution worked perfectly. Nicely done and thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Gunsboy.  That worked for me, finally!  The stupid little errors that plague Acrobat DC are so annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently had this same issue, called Adobe support and we tried uninstalling acrobat pro and also repairing it after reinstalling it.  The support person then when to the PC's registry settings and removed three of the settings, is it possible to document what settings were removed for everyone else here, it solved my issue for the No dictionary error message.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines