OLE in visual studio (VB or C#) works great but I need to select bookmarks programmatically on workstations that will only have reader installed.

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using  OLE (AcroPDFLib/ AxAcroPDF) in visual studio (VB and C#) and it works great but I need to select bookmarks programmatically on workstations that will only have reader installed. Named destinations will not work for me because I will need the actions associated with the bookmarks, primarily the ability to select a 3d view in a 3d pdf.

I have read through Adobe documentation over the last week and have identified 3 possibilities

Option 1 (preferred)

If I develop using the Acrobat Pro libraries could I still distribute to workstations with only reader installed? If so what would I have to do to make it legit?

Option 2

I could use document level java (probably) but it looks like I would still have to use Acrobat Pro dll to call the java programmatically because I don't want the user to have to push a control or link in the PDF.  Maybe I am missing something?

Option 3

Write a custom C++ plugin to expose the ability to select bookmarks via OLE IAC, I have not dug into this option very deep because I have no real experience with C++ but will learn it if I have to

Any other ways to accomplish this?

Please let me know if I should post this message in another forum, this is my first time asking for help in the Adobe forums

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

OLE in visual studio (VB or C#) works great but I need to select bookmarks programmatically on workstations that will only have reader installed.

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using  OLE (AcroPDFLib/ AxAcroPDF) in visual studio (VB and C#) and it works great but I need to select bookmarks programmatically on workstations that will only have reader installed. Named destinations will not work for me because I will need the actions associated with the bookmarks, primarily the ability to select a 3d view in a 3d pdf.

I have read through Adobe documentation over the last week and have identified 3 possibilities

Option 1 (preferred)

If I develop using the Acrobat Pro libraries could I still distribute to workstations with only reader installed? If so what would I have to do to make it legit?

Option 2

I could use document level java (probably) but it looks like I would still have to use Acrobat Pro dll to call the java programmatically because I don't want the user to have to push a control or link in the PDF.  Maybe I am missing something?

Option 3

Write a custom C++ plugin to expose the ability to select bookmarks via OLE IAC, I have not dug into this option very deep because I have no real experience with C++ but will learn it if I have to

Any other ways to accomplish this?

Please let me know if I should post this message in another forum, this is my first time asking for help in the Adobe forums

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 14, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The libraries just talk to Acrobat Pro (or Standard). It needs to be installed.

2. JavaScript (not Java) has no external API in Reader.

3. Writing a Reader plugin requires a special license, not usually given if the purpose is to avoid buying Acrobat.

The Acrobat SDK can be understood as a marketing tool for Actobat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2017 1