• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

plugin creation

Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am new to acrobat plugins.  I am having set of tools developed in acrobat java script like auto bookmarking.  I wanted to convert this into plugins using c++.  I dont know where to start and how to start.  Can any one help me on this?  How to create?  Which platform is required to create plugin?  How to create .api file?

Ariv

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 152 Replies 152
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they are nothing to do with the plug-in API or PDF display in Acrobat. They relate to a non-Adobe product I never heard of.

If you are not willing to learn how to program by examining code, reading documentation, and writing your own C/C++; instead of Googling, I don't think we can help you any more. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do we have markup or annotating pdfs in documentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the documentation:

Acrobat DC SDK Documentation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i have integrated some custom plugins in acrobat which are coming under AcrobatSDK menu item on the topmost toolbar...

But is there a way to get these plug-ins on the right side along with other tools like CreatePDF, Fill&Sign, etc. ...????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or the TOOLS that come on the side of the PDF perhaps maybe go with different terminology and not as PLUGINS...

anyway,,,we need them on the side...

how can this be achieved???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way this can be achieved is by reading _AND UNDERSTANDING_ the documentation. You need to analyze the sample plug-ins line by line and get familiar with how plug-ins work and how they interact with the core Acrobat functionality. You need to plan for three to six months of ramp up time before you can create a plug-in with decent functionality. If you cannot afford this, then it is cheaper to hire somebody to do that for you. This is not just based on my personal experience, I've taught plug-in programming to engineers. As was mentioned before, this is not something where you can google your way to success - or get a few pointers from this discussion thread and hit the road running. You need to do your homework. Start with the basic plug-in and understand what it does and how it's done using the API. Then try to mimic that - without copy and paste - by using the starter plug-in until you end up with the same functionality, while being able to explain every single line in your code. Once you can do that, it's time to move to more complex examples, but before you can do these steps repeatedly, you are not ready to move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is the question.... no matter how many custom plugins i am integrating in Acrobat,they are adding on the top toolbar ...

i wanna know if there is any way to get these plugins included in the other TOOLS like createPDF...???

i will attach the screenshot...Screenshot (9).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the user has to place them there – they will not appear there automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how? what is the process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i mean can that be done manually or through code(javascript or c/c++)???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the Tools tab. This is where all tools are shown. You can add tools using the AVToolbar/AVToolButton methods. These were designed for a release of Acrobat that worked differently, and are difficult to figure out for DC. But it is possible.

You cannot add tools to the right hand bar in your code. The USER chooses what tools are in their right hand bar by clicking ADD on the tool icon in the main panel.  This is the user's space, and does not belong to your plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So by using the AVTool methods will the plugins be added in the right side

through code?

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019, 7:09 PM Test Screen Name <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I added a tool in the right side manually from add custom tool option..

but how to give it the plugin functionality manually or through code is my

next question??

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019, 8:03 PM Sheena Munjal <sheena.munjal@mindparabole.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried adding the custom tools on the right side of the acrobat DC  manually from "add custom tool" option.

but how to give it the functionality of the plugin  through code or manually is my next question????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also,.... by using the methods like AVToolbar() ,can the plugin be entered to the right side of the acrobat DC as a tool????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me which part of "You cannot add tools to the right hand bar in your code." is not clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need a reason for that answer.. if the plugins be added as a sub menu item on the toolbar....then why is it not possible to add them on the right side panel???

(or a link explaining the reason for the same would also be greatt)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no function in the API for this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the TOOLS already there on the right side, how have they been added??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internal functions of Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

while reading the documentation, i read that the plug-ins can be hooked into the Acrobat's UI either as menu items, or adding as toolbar buttons .....

the way i have added the plugins in the acrobat now is by adding them in the menu item...

so how does adding to toolbar buttons work????

cz i think this might give what i am looking for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You continue to ask questions which have been answered already. This is wasting your time and ours. For your convenience here is my reply: "You can add tools using the AVToolbar/AVToolButton methods. These were designed for a release of Acrobat that worked differently, and are difficult to figure out for DC. But it is possible."

You now need to study the documentation for the AVToolbar/AVToolButton methods, and experiment. Expect many frustrating failures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm ok..

also, a very important question which is no where there in the acrobat documentation...

which is.... now that i have made custom plugins and integrated with the Acrobat Pro DC.... but these plugins are there in acrobat pro DC of my local system...

my question is.... how can these plugins that are developed by me be shared with a third party...????

i mean there must be some delivery mechanism for these plugins using which any other client can buy the license from us and download our plugins to be used on his acrobat pro dc..?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plug-ins are installed in the plug-in folder. That's it. Adobe do not provide anything to help you download, integrate or install. The user has to copy the file to the Acrobat plug-in folder, or you have to provide an installer that you create which does that for the user. Each plug-in developer may spend weeks working on this part of the project, and makes their own solution. Or just written instructions for the end user.

The plug-in folder varies by release of Acrobat, and according to whether the user has the Classic or Continuous thread. Do not assume it is a fixed folder.

It would be wise, if you make an installer, to check the user has Acrobat, not Acrobat Reader, to avoid confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok i have few questions.....

1.) what do you mean by Classic or Continuous Thread?????

2.) Also, once the .api file is generated from our side, should we be concerned with whether the end-user copies that file under plug-ins folder of Acrobat DC or Acrobat Reader Dc???i mean isnt our job done once we create our .api file and share it with them?????

3.) If you answer NO to the ques2..in that case we require the INSTALLER that you were mentioning...

now how to create that installer???

4.) last question,,... like we have MacOS store, doesn't adobe have some store or cloud service(like adobe creative cloud DC) where we can put our plugins and those plugins can be used by with the end user...because, the final goal was never to develp the plugins on our local system, they have to be finally shared with the clients....

so how can that be achieved???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines