Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Send an email as soon as someone opens a pdf file

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

does anybody know if it's possible to integrate some kind of java-script in a PDF file with the functionality to send an email as soon as some one opens the PDF on her or his PC?

I think the app object should do this, but I didn't find any hints in the "Acrobat JavaScript Scripting Guide".

Thank you all.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that would be called a privacy violation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible, at least not silently. The user will have to confirm this action and actually perform the Send command.

As mentioned, that is considered a privacy and security violation to do something like that without informing the user and getting their consent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I neither want to do it silently nor violate any privacy.

The question is, if it's technically possible?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe has placed a security restriction on all emial actions using Adobe JavaScript.

app.mailMsg()

doc.mailDoc()

doc.mailForm()

All of the above was done because Adobe and others consider this an invasion of privacy.

Would you want a third party to know that you just opened a copy of your tax return?

Note that if the script can send a notice of the opening, it can send other personal information from the document.

There are very few methods to open a PDF via JavaScript. Have you considered modifying the OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines