Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Standard Deviation (STDEV)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I look for a simple standard deviation forumula between 2 numbers (called "ResultOldLot1" and "ResultNewLot1"). The equivalent of STDEV in Excel. I know nothing of java and everytime i try one of the formulas i find online it doesnt work.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know if its worth mentioning since thats what STDEV does, but it needs to caclulate Sample and not Population so, exemple, with the numbers 5 and 6 i would need the formula to equate 0.7071067812 and not 0.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the formula, then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know? Thats what I'm asking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want us to do your work for you, then? Find the formula and then if you can't figure out how to convert it to code we can help you. All the formulas I saw for Standard Deviation result in 0.5 for the example you gave, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does you get the value 0.5 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Info: Acrobat uses Javascript, not Java.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's no use looking for info on Java, it's entirely different. You need JavaScript. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a detailed discussion of how to do the equivalent. It's pretty complex because STDDEV takes an array. Be sure to read all the little comments as this is a discussion from a programmer who is getting it wrong; one final line gives the necessary correction. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27220776/standard-deviation-in-javascript-for-ms-excel-api

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: it's a long ling time since I studied Numerical Analysis but I am not convinced that the concept of standard deviation has any meaning for two numbers. It is a number, sure, but what use is it? From a quick read of Wikipedia It would be the mean of the sum of the square roots of the difference between two numbers and their mean.  But the difference between two numbers and their mean is of course the same in both cases; this is just a derivation of the difference between the numbers, which is much more tedious to calculate. For two figures it might just be the square root of their sum. All the math and more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not the one using the formula so i can't say why they need it for two numbers, i work document control in a medical lab and we use tables for Quality Control with our machines.

I do know that they use the standard deviation to get the CV (coefficient of variation). I have my formula for the "Mean" and the CV already, the only missing piece is the standard deviation. Here's what that part of the document  looks like

Old ResultNew ResultMEANSDCV%
##

average between:

Old Result and New Result

?SD / MEAN

Thank you for your reply, I'll read through the discussion linked above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is this calculating formula the way you want it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSeK_Nm14-s 

If you are interested I can adapt formula for your needs for a fee.

Contact me at: nesa.nurani@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines