• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using javascript to check boxes based on input in a textbox?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello world,

I have a problem with a form I'm trying to put together; the form will be used to tally the amount of trucks coming into a job site (I.E. it is a grid with checkbox items that are ticked as trucks come in). The problem is, I'd also like to add the option of having a textbox with a value that will automatically tick the right amount of checkbox items, rather than checking them all one by one.

I guess in summary the code would need to be like this: inputs > 0, Check Box 1 is checked. inputs > 1, Check Box 2 is checked, etc.

I have no real experience with javascript, so any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

So basically you want to reset the entire set of fields, and then only tick those that were entered in the text field, right?

In that case, you can use this code, assuming you have fields named "Check Box 1" to "Check Box 10":

if (event.value) {
    for (var i=1; i<=10; i++) {

this.getField("Check Box " + i).checkThisBox(0, (i<=Number(event.value)));

}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your fields named "Check Box 1", "Check Box 2", etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what should happen if some check-boxes are already ticked? Should it reset all of them before ticking the amount entered? Should it add the pre-ticked ones? etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are your fields named "Check Box 1", "Check Box 2", etc.?"

The initial fields are named: Check Box 1, Check Box 2, Check Box 3. More field will be added and will probably follow the pattern of Check Box 1a, Check Box 1b, Check Box 1c, etc.

"Also, what should happen if some check-boxes are already ticked? Should it reset all of them before ticking the amount entered? Should it add the pre-ticked ones? etc."

No, I'm going to add a reset button for each row, so if two check boxes are checked before a number is punched in, they should conceivably stay checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a very good naming scheme. I would recommend to use numbers only, unless there's a very good reason to do it differently.

I didn't quite follow the second answer. Let's say you have 10 check-boxes and 1-6 are ticked. The user enters "5" into the text box. What should happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That's not a very good naming scheme. I would recommend to use numbers only, unless there's a very good reason to do it differently.

I didn't quite follow the second answer. Let's say you have 10 check-boxes and 1-6 are ticked. The user enters "5" into the text box. What should happen?"

Okay, I see what you're getting at, in that situation the 6th check box should not be checked; if it could be worked in to un-checked that 6th box, then I would prefer that.

I can change the naming scheme, its really on there only as a default for each box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically you want to reset the entire set of fields, and then only tick those that were entered in the text field, right?

In that case, you can use this code, assuming you have fields named "Check Box 1" to "Check Box 10":

if (event.value) {
    for (var i=1; i<=10; i++) {

this.getField("Check Box " + i).checkThisBox(0, (i<=Number(event.value)));

}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention above, the code should be used as the custom validation script of the text field where the user enters the number of boxes to tick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"So basically you want to reset the entire set of fields, and then only tick those that were entered in the text field, right?

In that case, you can use this code, assuming you have fields named "Check Box 1" to "Check Box 10":"

"Forgot to mention above, the code should be used as the custom validation script of the text field where the user enters the number of boxes to tick."

Got it, tried it, works; thank you try67.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines