Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What JavaScript Version for my Acrobat?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Acrobat Pro DC on Windows 10.

The JavaScript for Acrobat API Reference Manual (2015) page 1 (36) states: "The most recent version of Acrobat now uses JavaScript 1.7."

With a paragraph and table showing the following information that Acrobat 10 support JavaScript version 1.8.

However, when using JavaScript, the functions and features above JavaScript 1.5 are not available and will throw errors.

For example:

Math.trunc(42.7)  will give "TypeError: Math.trunc is not a function"

Same applies to default parameter values, binary number annotation, etc.

Thanks

Mohsen

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The terms are confusing, but according to the Acrobat DC SDK documentation (Acrobat DC SDK Documentation ), Acrobat DC supports ECMAScript 5, which is one version prior to ECMAScript 2015 (AKA ECMAScript 6, ECMAScript - Wikipedia ), where the trunc method was first introduced (Math.trunc() - JavaScript | MDN ). So this method is not supported after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, the different version numbers are confusing.

You can easily add the missing functionality in e.g. a document level script by adding this:

if (!Math.trunc) {

Math.trunc = function (v) {

return v < 0 ? Math.ceil(v) : Math.floor(v);

};

}

This is a "polyfill" and you can usually add missing functionality this way to make modern JavaScript run in older JS engines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions.

Is there any hope of the next Acrobat versions using a later version of JavaScript? ECMAScript 5 is already a 10 years' old version.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only Adobe knows what will be included in future versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aaaah!. That explains why the keyword let to comply with scope-chaining threw an error back when I used it my code in ActionScripts .

It also explains why temperal literal aren't working either.

I understand that scoping,particularly global, is important to the Acrobat enviroment for security reasons.  However, so far I can't create effective batch script code with the Javascript paradigm I have learned under web development which has its own security concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines