Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When a checkbox is checked insert text into another field

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I know that there have been a lot of other thread like this one but for some reason my code isn't working.  I'm trying to have text inserted into a field when a check box is checked.  Can you please please help.

For a mouse up event:

var dateCheckbox = this.getField("Date or");  //checkbox

var detailField = this.getField("Expiration Detail");  //field

// if the "date or" box is checked than change the Expiration Detail to "Hello"

if (dateCheckbox.value == "Yes") { 

detailField.value = "Hello";    

} 

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Which mouse-up event are you using? In general, when you try to trigger something based on a checkbox selection, you should also take care of the unchecked value. Also, the export value of a checkbox can be modified, so it's usually a better approach to check for value != "Off", because "Off" will always be used for the unchecked case.

Try the following as the mouse-up event of the "Date or" checkbox:

if (event.target.value != "Off")

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which mouse-up event are you using? In general, when you try to trigger something based on a checkbox selection, you should also take care of the unchecked value. Also, the export value of a checkbox can be modified, so it's usually a better approach to check for value != "Off", because "Off" will always be used for the unchecked case.

Try the following as the mouse-up event of the "Date or" checkbox:

if (event.target.value != "Off") {

detailField.value = "Hello";

}

else {

detailField.value = "";

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works perfectly!!!

Thank you so much for your time.  I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl_Heinz_Kremer,

How can I used your scripting for multiple text fields? For example, if Checkbox1 is checked, Textfield1 and Textfield2 auto-populates "N/A"

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this as MouseUp event of CheckBox:

var t1 = this.getField("Textfield1");
var t2 = this.getField("Textfield2");
if(event.target.value != "Off"){
t1.value = "N/A"
t2.value = "N/A";}
else if(event.target.value == "Off"){
t1.value = ""
t2.value = "";}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can any one help

If check box 'A' and checkbox 'B' both are checked then it should print value 'yes' else 'no'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the custom calculation script of the text field enter this:

event.value = (this.getField("A").valueAsString=="Off" || this.getField("B").valueAsString=="Off") ? "no" : "yes";

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What script would I use for the following:

Check box 1 = PDF

Check box 2 = Divorce Decree

Check box 3 = Birth Certificate

When all boxes are checked, the text is put into the same text box, or if only 2 boxes are checked, only the 2 texts are included in the text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to display the text in a single line? If so, should they be separated by something, like a comma or a semi-colon? Or should each text be on a separate line in a multi-line field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single line please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use this code as the custom Calculation script of the final text field, then:

var fields = ["Check box 1", "Check box 2", "Check box 3"];
var texts = ["PDF", "Divorce Decree", "Birth Certificate"];
var selectedTexts = [];
for (var i=0; i<fields.length; i++) {
	if (this.getField(fields[i]).valueAsString!="Off") selectedTexts.push(texts[i]);
}
event.value = selectedTexts.join(", ");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly!  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another question...same thing, but I want some followed by a comma and some that I don't.  Such as when Checkbox for "What was received" is toggled it adds "Rec'd" followed by no comma and then the others are selected which are followed by a comma.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 073320.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@try67 please see my follow up question above!  Thank you so much for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the code, or the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I currently have but I want some followed by just a space and some followed by a period:

var fields = ["CB37", "CB1", "CB2", "CB3", "CB4", "CB5", "CB6", "CB7", "CB8", "CB9", "CB10", "CB11", "CB12", "CB13", "CB14", "CB38", "CB15", "CB16", "CB17", "CB18", "CB19", "CB20", "CB21", "CB22", "CB23", "CB39", "CB24", "CB25", "CB27", "CB29", "CB30", "CB31", "CB32", "CB33", "CB42", "CB35"];
var texts = ["Rec'd", "PDF", "DD", "BC", "MC", "SSN Card", "ID", "Med ID", "Court Order", "Adoption Decree", "COB Docs", "DP Docs", "Kaiser EF", "COA", "FILL IN OTHER", "Updated", "Address", "Email", "Phone", "Name", "Gender", "Marital Status", "DOB", "Dep(s)", "FILL IN OTHER", "Mem", "Dep", "EIR sent for", "DD", "BC", "MC", "Adoption Decree", "FILL IN OTHER", "FILL IN OTHER LETTER SENT", "Doc(s) sent to scan"];
var selectedTexts = [];
for (var i=0; i<fields.length; i++) {
if (this.getField(fields[i]).valueAsString!="Off") selectedTexts.push(texts[i]);
}
event.value = selectedTexts.join(", ");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This description is a bit too vague. You need to clearly define which fields should be followed by a space, and which by a period. Maybe include it in the actual strings in the texts array, and change the delimiter under the join command to a blank string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines