Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word 2016 Crashes PDFMaker in Acrobat Pro DC Windows

Contributor ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all.

I am experiencing near-constant crashes when creating PDFs from Word 2016 using the PDFMaker in Acrobat Pro DC for Windows.

Following is the application version information (applications show as up to date):

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus

Office Version: Office 2016 32-bit

Version 16.0.6741.2048

-and-

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

2015 Release (Classic)

Version 2015.006.30174

-and-

Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1

The error messages are:

Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

then....

Word is running into problems with the 'acrobat pdfmaker office com addin' add-in. If this keeps happening, disable this add-in and check for available updates. Do you want to disable it now?

The only temporary workaround I have found is:

Choose Help > Repair Installation in Acrobat DC. However, that fix usually only works for the next PDF, then has to be repeated for every subsequent PDF.

The documents themselves seem fine, as the same documents convert to PDF in:

Windows 7 virtual machine on Mac OS

Microsoft Word 2010

Acrobat X Standard, Version 10.1.16

-or-

Adobe Document Cloud (however, custom bookmark settings cannot be used with this service)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.  ...pt

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip

Does this happen for all Word files or some specific Word file?

What is the behavior when you convert PowerPoint 2016 and Excel 2016 files?

Have you tried repairing Office?

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Tanvi.

The problem has occurred with numerous Word files. These files all converted to PDF properly with Acrobat Pro DC and Word 2013 - but fail in Word 2016. These files still convert to PDF properly when doing so with older versions of Word and Acrobat on another computer, or via the Acrobat cloud service. These files will also convert to PDF properly in Word 2016 after repairing Acrobat Pro DC, but then fail thereafter.

I have only tried making PDFs from a handful of PowerPoint 2016 or Excel files with Acrobat Pro DC. These have converted fine to PDF. But then trying a Word file immediately thereafter may again crash Word.

I already tried repairing Office. That did not seem to make a difference. By the way, the 2016 version of Office was only installed in a corporate upgrade about a week ago.

Still looking for a permanent solution.  ...pt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip,

Could you please share a sample file with us? You can mail it to me at [Moderator: Personal information removed. You may try Private messaging: How Do I Send Private Message ]

Regards,

Basma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basma,

A moment ago I privately e-mailed you a confidential file that crashed Word today when creating a PDF from Word's Acrobat ribbon and the following software:

- Office 16.0.6741.2056

- Acrobat DC 15.006.30201

- Windows 7 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 and updates

I was finally able to create a PDF after repairing the Acrobat DC installation. However, after making minor changes in the Word document, the next attempt to generate a PDF (and overwrite the prior PDF) again crashed Word. So I resorted to again repairing Acrobat DC, then outputting a PDF with a different name.

Some other recent documents (most of which are considerably shorter and less complex) output to PDF fine. One other similarly-complex document output fine.

Hope you can find the problems.   ...pt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip,

Thanks for sharing the file with us. Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce the issue at our end. It would be great if you could share the crash dump with us. I have shared details of the same with you over mail.

Regards,

Basma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Adobe.

It has been a few months now, and I am still having regular problems with PDFMaker crashing when generating PDFs using Word's Acrobat ribbon and the following software:

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus

Version 16.0.6741.2071

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

Version 2015.006.30243

As a workaround, I have had to use a Windows 7 virtual machine with older software versions. For whatever reason, the following combination works fine with the same Word Documents that crash the current versions of Word and Acrobat:

Word 2010

Version 14.0.7173.5000 (32-bit)

Adobe Acrobat X

Version 10.1.16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please ensure that you have latest versions of Office and Acrobat installed.

Also, share a sample file with which crash is reproducible along with the crash dump.

You can share them via Dropbox or Document Cloud.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tanvi,

I am already using the latest version of Adobe Acrobat DC, and I believe Office is the most recent version available to me.

I had previously provided Adobe with a sample Word file that consistently crashed for me (but not for you). I also provided Adobe with a huge crash dump file.

...pt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanvi,

Good day, we in our company also experience this problem. I think the only difference is that (it happens only for  Word 2016 files)  it will be successfully converted some files and some are not. (unstable)

We have the following software written below:

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

2015Release (Classic)

Version 2015.006.30417

Word 2016

MSO (16.0.9226.2114) 32-bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR:

An unexpected error occured. PDFMaker was unable to produce the Adobe PDF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping that you can help us regarding this problem. Thank you.

Regards

Rey Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with my installation of Word 2016 (16.0.6701.1034) and Acrobat DC.  The problem happens with larger documents (over 100 pages), while shorter docs seem to be OK.

The problem may be related to the Enable Accessibility and Reflow with tagged Adobe PDF option.  Turning this option off allows the conversion process to finish when run from within Word (from the Acrobat tab), but PDF bookmarks don't seem to work.  Right-clicking on a file and selecting "Convert to Adobe PDF" still fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this same issue, even with blank Word documents. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines