Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Embed API: Annotations API, ANNOTATION_ADDED event not triggering for notes

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am encountering an issue with the Annotations API. When adding a message to the document with the subtype "note," the ANNOTATION_ADDED event is not being triggered. It does work as expected for other subtypes such as "strikeout," "highlight," "underline," and "shape.". This was working fine a few days ago.

This issue can be tested with the Angular demo (/annotationAPIs/UIConfigurations)

Here, you can observe two events (related to drawing and highlighting marks), but none for note-type marks:

FacundoFabianMoonDesk_1-1695977603907.png

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

@Raymond Camden we need an answer on this, how is one of the most important annotations of adobe pdf viewer still broken with no response?

It's both add comment via toolbar and "right click" > "add comment"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! First of all, sorry for bother you tagging in this post @Joel_Geraci We have seen that you are an expert in the community, we want to know if you can give us some help trying to contact some adobe developers for a answer about this major bug.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not Joel, but as I said above, the bug is filed. Nothing else can be done now. I can say engineering didn't agree it was a bug, I explained how it _was_ absolutely a bug, but for now it's recorded. That's it. I'm sorry to be blunt, but nothing else can do be done now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't agree it was a bug 😮 😮 ??

This is one of the clearest examples of a bug I've ever seen. If they need a demo of a real application experiencing this bug. Please let me know.

I have a separate workaround that works for the "Add comments" toolbar. Described below

globalAnnotationManager.registerEventListener(async function (event) {

/*if (event.createdBy != createdBy) {
        globalAnnotationManager.unselectAnnotation(event.data.id);
        return;
    }*/
    if (event.type === "ANNOTATION_MODE_STARTED") {
        if (event.data == "note" || event.data == "freetext") {
            // HANDLE however you want, completely blocking the normal input
            return;
        }
        return;
    } 

// Handle regular annotations

}, eventOptions);

Again, this will not work if you right click on the document and press "Add comments". It will also not work if you click on an annotation and press "Add comments"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said - I responded back and explained the situation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do all agree that it is clearly a BUG that prevent from catching event upon note creation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't even been able to convince certain parties that adding a sticky note should trigger the event or that it even counts as an annotation on its own because it can be associated with the markup annotations.

We're making our case but it could take a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a wildly simple scenario TBH.

Right click > Add comment (COMMENTS PANEL ENABLED) = fires event, cancels if no input

Right click > Add comment (COMMENTS PANEL DISABLED) =

- No ANNOTATION_ADDED event, No ANNOTATION_MODE_STARTED event

- Comments panel disabled so nowhere to type

- Nowhere to intercept event

= BUG

So basically, unless you use the default comments panel from Adobe, its completely broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may not have been clear. Currently, it's performing as designed. You think it's a bug. I say it's designed wrong. Ray and I are trying to convince the powers that be that either way, the current behavior is suboptimal. But because it's working as designed, it's going to take time to change the specification and then get the change prioritized.  If it were a bug, it'd go into the queue to get fixed. But it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apoligize for pushing this, but I respectfully disagree with your sentiment about "working as designed"

The design of the system is in the Annotation Manager config, you can choose "showCommentsPanel":false

var annotationManagerConfig = {
    showToolbar: true,
    showCommentsPanel: false,
    showToolsOnTextSelection: false,
    downloadWithAnnotations: false,
};

As such, one would expect that all annotation tools work correctly with both options (true and false).

If all annotation tools do not work correctly with both options, it is not the design of the system that is flawed. It's the implementation of the system which is flawed.. AKA a bug.

In the scope of this ticket, there is nothing that needs to be changed with the design of the system. The implementation of the system, needs to satisfy the design of the system, and in my opinion that is the clear definition of a bug.

I do appreciate you explaining this, but if it's not getting prioritized due to it's classification, I feel obligated to share my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not my sentiment. Ray and I agree with you. I'm telling you that it's working as designed. AKA not a bug. Getting the design to be changed is going to be a challenge. You have advocates here but the process takes time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh.... haha. I get it now.. sorry

Anything I can do to help, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least we can say it is a regression since it was working before and the last version broke our development.... So the feature request is to reimplement a behaviour that was available in the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's been one of my main talking points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any movement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Any progress on this matter? Or is it at least on the roadmap? The visualization of PDF files and collaborative participation are crucial functionalities of our application. The inability to utilize "note" comments poses a significant inconvenience. While I understand that there may be other priorities, I need to ascertain whether this issue will be addressed at some point, so we can plan accordingly, whether it involves awaiting a solution or considering other alternatives/custom implementations.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update here @Joel_Geraci @Raymond Camden 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, there was a release May 9th (https://developer.adobe.com/document-services/docs/overview/pdf-embed-api/releasenotes/#may-9-2024) but I don't believe this was addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources