• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Embed API doesn't display complete document

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing cases where PDF Embed API does not display documents completely. It renders portions of the document but not the entire document. Apparently random blocks and areas of the document (they might be tables?) won't render, they are just blank. But the areas display normally when I view the PDF directly in Chrome or any other reader. 

It does not appear to be browser or OS dependent. I've reproduced this in MacOS and Windows, and in Chrome and Firefox. It's the same in both in line and sized container view. It was also reproduceable on the SDK demo page: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/view-sdk-demo/index.html#/customize/FULL_WINDOW

The documents in question are invoices from vendors. Electronically generated documents, not scans. I obviously can't easily share them publically. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem in any shareable or recreatable documents yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TOPICS
PDF Embed API

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you feel safe emailing me some samples at jedimaster@adobe.com?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sample sent. Thank you Raymond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing cases where PDF Embed API does not display documents completely. It renders portions of the document but not the entire document. Apparently random blocks and areas of the document (they might be tables?) won't render, they are just blank. But the areas display normally when I view the PDF directly in Chrome or any other reader. 

It does not appear to be browser or OS dependent. I've reproduced this in MacOS and Windows, and in Chrome and Firefox. It's the same in both in line and sized container view. It was also reproduceable on the SDK demo page: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/view-sdk-demo/index.html#/customize/FULL_WINDOW ..promo-codes.it

The documents in question are invoices from vendors. Electronically generated documents, not scans. I obviously can't easily share them publically. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem in any shareable or recreatable documents yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

By @Ron Michael Zettlemoyer
Perhaps you just encrypt part of the document. Try changing your account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Ivan22795859cafy. The documents don't appear to be encrypted in any way. And I don't have to enter a password or do anything special to view the PDF outside of the PDF Embed API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does contain an email. Thanks for pointing out that thread. But I'm not seeing the exact same behavior. And none of the content after the email address is missing. But it still might be related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open up the PDF in Adobe Reader, right click on the document and go to Document Properties, what do you see as the "PDF Producer"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The producer is the Big Faceless Report Generator. LOL. 

https://bfo.com/products/report/?version=work-20200610T1518-r36819M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely the same email address issue. That report generator is used by NetSuite to generate invoice PDFs, which often have a clickable email address included in the PDF document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance this issue will be addressed any time soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I do not have an update for you on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

FWIW, I have found that if I take the PDF and re-print it to another PDF (like open it in Mac Preview and Print to a PDF) then Embed API will render it correctly. But I haven't found a way to implement this in code. In our backend we use EO.Pdf to manipulate PDFs; I tried adding these "bad" PDFs to a new PDF but that didn't fix anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. It occurs for me after applying redactions using the PyMuPDF library. Other viewers (Acrobat, Edge and Chrome) have no issue displaying these PDFs and I make sure to perform proper garbage collection after applying the redactions. An example document has been attached.
I hope this information might help to resolve this issue, otherwise we will have to start looking for an alternative PDF viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this issue happens using the Adobe Acrobat browser extension as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose there's been any interest or progress in fixing this bug? It's over a year old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested the attached PDF above in our new viewer (we had a major update a few months ago) and the issue does not appear to be there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. My sites are still having the same exact issues with certain PDFs, like NetSuite invoices generated by "Big Faceless Report Generator". We don't have to do anything special to enable the latest version, do we? I'm using https://documentservices.adobe.com/view-sdk/viewer.js.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send that PDF to jedimaster@adobe.com?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this is not yet fixed. I'll check the ticket for this and see - but I'm going to be out for most of the week so I may be delayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue with netsuite generated pdf files, are there any update on this topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Raymond,

Is there any updates for Netsuite generated docs?

I am also having an issue with Nitro generated documents.

Could you please check that? If there is no update, could you please provide a clue in order to fire any event.

I have tried APP_RENDERING_FAILED event. But it is not fired, although PDF fails to render

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I've got no update on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources