I received an email from Adobe today that I must upgrade to the latest PDF viewer within 10 days:
"Hi Embed API user,
We’re reaching out because you’re still using the legacy PDF viewer. Please note that this version will no longer be supported for the Embed API after Jan 31 2023, and you MUST transition over to the new modern PDF viewer within 10 days. Failure to do so will lead to interruption of service and loss of access.
For more information, please refer to our documentation here.
For any questions, you can reach us at the Document Services API community forum or contact customer support.
Adobe Document Services team"
Somehow they seem to *know* whether I've upgraded or not. However - I did upgrade the site that uses this about a month ago. To upgrade I changed 'main.js' to 'viewer.js', ie:
This change based on the migration guide here:
Taking a look at the 'Legal Notices' on my site I can see the application version:
Copy link to clipboard
I got the same email too.
You have currently have your script pointing to this url...
Change it to this instead...
It might be the same app version, but the UI should change a little.
Hope that helps!
Thank you, Bill!!! I missed that the domain part of the URL had changed. Hopefully this does the trick.
I received the exact same email, even though I am already using the correct https://documentservices.adobe.com/view-sdk/viewer.js (the UI looks exactly like the documentation for the modern viewer).
So I'd be interested to learn why I received this email.
To add to this, I've only been using this viewer for less than a month and used the snippet that was auto-generated for me, so unless they were generating a soon-to-be-deprecated snippet, I believe their flagging system is faulty.
It would be great if someone from Adobe could either reply to this thread or send us another email to confirm we are using the latest version and will not see any outage!
All true. For transparency, I am not an Adobe employee, I just happen to use their API for a project I'm working on.
The email was helpful to me since I needed to update the script URL. No idea why you would receive the email if you were already setup correctly. And yeah, that would seem faulty.
Just know that Adobe (or any API provider) can change things at any time, we just have to roll with the punches. I doubt there is anyone at Adobe you can contact easily. Just monitor, and make sure it works.