• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 2017 unable to open PDF Portfolio files

Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a user with the latest version of Acrobat Reader and the full version of Acrobat 2017 on a Windows 10 machine. They're receiving PDF Portfolio files and are unable to open the files, instead receiving the warning message "For the best experience, open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat X or Adobe Reader X, or later."

Followed the steps to turn on "Show Portofolios in Files mode" but that made no difference.

Is this an issue of speaking to the person supplying the portfolio files and have them resave them with a specific setting? I would expect Acrobat 2017 to be able to open the portfolios without a problem.

Thank you

image002.pngimage003.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening because the Flash technology has been retired, and old Portfolios relied on Flash to work.

You would need Acrobat (or Reader) DC to be able to open those files. I would recommend telling the supplier to convert their files to non-Flash based Portfolios, or to switch to regular PDF files, if at all possible, to make them backwards-compatible with older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. If Acrobat Reader DC is unable to open the file then it's definitely a Flash issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Reader DC should be able to open it, even if it was a Flash file. Earlier versions won't be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend getting the exact versions of Acrobat 2017 and of Reader DC (something like 2016.123.34344).

Users often assume things are up to date when actually updating failed.

Changes to work without Flash were surprisingly recent (perhaps nobody told Adobe that Flash was going away...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see (remote asset software) that Acrobat 2017 is 17.011.30194 and Reader is 21.001.20142

That should be new enough, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should. Now, I think, it's time to look at how the file got on the computer. The other time I've seen this is where people have been...inventive...about saving or downloading PDF files.

For some people "I downloaded a PDF from a web site", translates as "I saw a PDF in a web site so I choose Print to PDF which saves the PDF". That will do it.  If you can't ask directly, but have access to the file on the user's computer,  bring the file BACK from the user's computer, and try it on your own system; compare File > Properties with the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines