• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 9 pro won't install on Sierra (MAC)

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My disk won't install on my new mc, just hangs up

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Hi hectorc68838561,

Acrobat 9 Pro is not compatible with Mac OS Sierra.

It may or may not work properly.

Would also like to inform you that Acrobat 9 is an old and unsupported version.End of support | Reader 9 and Acrobat 9 (and earlier)

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hectorc68838561,

Acrobat 9 Pro is not compatible with Mac OS Sierra.

It may or may not work properly.

Would also like to inform you that Acrobat 9 is an old and unsupported version.End of support | Reader 9 and Acrobat 9 (and earlier)

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Is there an Adobe Acrobat Pro version that is not CC or DC that will run on High Sierra. I don't want to rent any more software.

Thank you,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I've just done a fresh install of Mac OS Sierra (not just an upgrade, but I formatted the disk and installed) and of my old CS4 boxed version.

After the famous Java update 6, all the applications worked fine, BUT NOT Acroba 9 Pro. It seemed to open, but not worked. I had the same problem occurring with El Capitan, but with no solution, no uncheck could help me.

So, after some struggles, I found my old dusty cds with all the dmg files of the software updates I received in the past of the CS4 products. I never liked Adobe Updater: manual update is painful and boring, but I learned at my risk that it's better that you never let computers or software decide things in place of you .

So I installed the Acrobat 9.10 update and BANG!

Acrobat 9 PRO now works like a charm on Sierra 10.12.2 too.

And it seems even faster than on Mavericks.

I successfully updated all the Acrobat versions from 9.10 to 9.20. Only the last, the 9.5.1 didn't work. But Acrobat is still part of my arsenal and I have an updated OS.

Hope this could help someone.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I get a copy of the updater?  I had to contact Adobe Chat and they had me use a link, but this only installed a modified version of 9.0 which does not have a link for updates.  I now have it installed, but I would like to update to the latest update if possible.  Are these updates available somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are my Adobe Acrobat 9 Updates??? - KHKonsulting LLC

You do not have to install them all. Just these updates in order:  ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/9.x/   FTP link for Mac updates.

9.0.0 > 9.1.0 > 9.1.2 > 9.2.0 > 9.3.0 > 9.3.2 > 9.3.3 > 9.4.0 > 9.4.2 > 9.4.5 > 9.4.6 > 9.5.0 > 9.5.1 > 9.5.2 > 9.5.3 > 9.5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New iMac 27" Sierra 5K 2TB hard drive and 8GB video... but owners want to use CS4 Design Premium and Acrobat 9 Pro.

I encountered the same unresponsive "Acrobat" when uploading v 9.0.0 from disk. The formula of downloads and sequential order of updaters  found above made it operational on this new system. Also, the ftp site wasn't entirely cooperative using Google, but Firefox delivered the goods.

Note that you may have to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and leave that window open in order to click "OK" at the "Allow apps downloaded from:" section.

Acrobat 9 Pro became operational on my 2017 build iMac with an early update (perhaps even after 9.1), but I confirmed it was still operational at update 9.3. At the moment I'm up to 9.3.3, but there was a glitch in my file at 9.4 updater, so I'm re-downloading it.

EDIT: as I was re-downloading 9.4, the system updated to 9.5.5, saving about 7 steps

"...these updates in order:  ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/9.x/   FTP link for Mac updates.

9.0.0 > 9.1.0 > 9.1.2 > 9.2.0 > 9.3.0 > 9.3.2 > 9.3.3 > 9.4.0 > 9.4.2 > 9.4.5 > 9.4.6 > 9.5.0 > 9.5.1 > 9.5.2 > 9.5.3 > 9.5.5" <— golden!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you sign in to the ftp site? my adobe.com password doesn't do it, guest doesn't either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it looks like this is no longer a solution as the adobe FTP site has certain update versions locked behind a user account/password (such as 9.3 and 9.34).

I am attempting to use the AAM to update my install before first run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links are at the bottom and they do work.  See the reply dated March 18, 2018

Where are my Adobe Acrobat 9 Updates??? - KHKonsulting LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I was using the FTP site.

Will try this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if it goes well. Then I can keep it for reference.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gene,

I was able to download the missing update files that I needed from the KHK site.  After installing all the way up to 9.5.5, I encountered the "AMT Subsystem Failure" error.  Which after some (errr lengthy) researcha dn trail and error was eventually able to resolve by removing the old FLEXnet folder from Application Support and having it regenerate a new one when running the program.

Thanks for you assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear. Tuck those patches in a safe place and if you decide to upgrade to Mojave (10.14) know that 9.5.5 is 32 bit Intel and may be phased out entirely. As always, When Adobe discontinues app support fixes, it may not run on future versions of MacOS.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I use the updates ending in "_all.dmg" or "_gef.dmg"? I am attempting to update Adobe 9 Pro (Mac). It looks like every update has a "_all.dmg" file, but only some have an update ending in "_gef.dmg". Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the comments: Where are my Adobe Acrobat 9 Updates??? - KHKonsulting LLC

Karl Heinz Kremer says: 

David, as far as I can tell (again, Adobe unfortunately took down the page that had more information), there are two different updates available for the 9.1 Mac version (based on your previous comment, it looks like you are running this on a Mac): AroProUpd910_all.dmg and AcroProUpd910_gef.dmg. The second one should be for German, English and French, the first one should work for all (or all other languages). If that’s not the case, then unfortunately, I am out of ideas. BTW: Acrobat 9 does definitely not work without problems on El Capitan, and neither does Acrobat X. Look for example at the “Bookmarks” pane when a document that contains bookmarks is open.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally works but what a PITA. I had to go through each patch, .1 by .2, couldn't jump ahead, had to tell apple to open the nonapproved app anyway, install and then go to the next one.

Will get to 9.4 one of these days, but fortunately the software started working on High Sierra at 9.1.

Thanks so much for this obscure but functional list!

Best,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share where to get the Acrobat Pro 9.10 update that you referred to in your post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI with the update patches:

I had to save them to my desktop to get them to open correctly.
Then I used the same process shown Here: Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra)  to get them to run.

Essentially:
Double click .DMG file > open the file> right click installer> select Show Package Contents> Contents> MacOS

Open a Terminal window

drag and drop the Exec file onto the Terminal Window> hit Enter

taa-daa! Magic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had to buy a new Mac last week due to the fact that my old one died unexpectedly. I'm seriously thrilled that I was able to get my whole CS5 to work, however, I'm really not sure what to do about Adobe Acrobat Pro 9. I read that you were able to do it. Did you do it from a disc or from the download they have on their website. The reason I ask is because I've tried it several times using both ways (disc and digital) and I still can't get it to load. It will put it in my Application folder, but when I double-click it to open it, it tells me to put in my administrators password and then just stays on the opening screen saying that it's installing/fixing installation. I left it that way for about 20 minutes and nothing happened. When I clicked onto something else, the window closed and I was left with the word Acrobat up in the menu with nothing else. No drop-down or any other things in the menu. I checked all over the internet and YouTube and your posting is the only thing that I somewhat found helpful. However, I just can't get anything to load, never mind doing all those updates. I'm totally willing to do all the updates. Can you just tell me how you got it to run in the first place.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps they updated it before they ran it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the very same thing you mentioned, it's so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out and am posting what worked for me in hopes it will help someone else.

note: My CS5 programs and Acrobat Pro 9 worked fine on my iMac running a Sierra UPGRADE. When I wiped my computer to do a clean Sierra os install yesterday, I couldn't get Acrobat to load properly as described by people above.

1. Installed CS5 programs from the Design Premium installer download (only chose illustrator and Indesign as per my needs)

2. opened Illustrator CS5- it asked me to update my Java 6. I did that.

3. opened illustrator CS5 and clicked on Help>Updates. This automatically opened the Adobe Application Manager and showed all updates for anything related to CS5 (Acrobat 9 pro did not show up in this list).

4. Hit Update on the AAM window to install the updates.

5. The message came back that some updates had not been installed (a different problem for another day)

6. when I tried reopening Acrobat I saw that it had be updated to 9.3 and it asked me the rest of the install questions such as agreeing to the TOS and for the product license number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines