• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat always asks to save changes, even with no changes

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently Acrobat DC has started asking about saving changes before closing upon opening every single PDF document.  No changes have been made ever, yet it still asks and forces me to answer to get out of the document.

I have read other articles that mentioned possibly corrupt PDF documents, but I don't think that is relevant as it happens on every document.  I have even created new PDFs from blank Word documents.  This also happens with others in my organization.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this very annoying, unnecessary, and time-wasting prompt?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

If this truly is happening with all PDF files, regardless of their source, then something in your Acrobat installation is modifying these files. This can for example be a plug-in. Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins installed? If you don't know, or if there are 3rd party plug-ins, I would bring up Acrobat without these plug-ins to see if that changes this behavior. You can disable all 3rd party plug-ins by opening Acrobat's Preferences, then go to the "General" category and check the box "Use onl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this truly is happening with all PDF files, regardless of their source, then something in your Acrobat installation is modifying these files. This can for example be a plug-in. Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins installed? If you don't know, or if there are 3rd party plug-ins, I would bring up Acrobat without these plug-ins to see if that changes this behavior. You can disable all 3rd party plug-ins by opening Acrobat's Preferences, then go to the "General" category and check the box "Use only certified plug-ins" - only plug-ins that come with Acrobat are certified, so this will disable all 3rd party plug-ins. After you make this change and restart Acrobat, do you still see the save prompt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE THE MAN!  That was it. 

I believe I know which plug-in it is, but I wanted a way to be sure.  I clicked on Tools and compared the icons showing before and after the certified checkbox.  Only one icon is missing, and it was the plug-in I suspected.  I assume that pretty much narrows it down, or is there a more definitive way to check and see what plug-ins I have in my installation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard, turns out the culprit realized it very recently and are working on a fix.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you figured it out. In general, you can find out what plug-ins are installed (that is, as long as they advertise themselves) by selecting the "About Third-Party plug-ins" menu item. This is either in the Help menu (Windows), or the Acrobat menu (Mac OS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may help people struggling with this problem... My Adobe Acrobat Reader was acting in the same annoying way... asking if you wanted to save EVERY file (mostly simple scans) after viewing and not changing anything.

I followed all the previous suggestions of Mr Karl_Heinz_Kremer, with no success. The above suggestion as usual did not work, and the "About Third-Party plug-ins" was not even in the menu that he pointed to (Help menu).

However, I noticed that in the "Help" menu was an entry that said "Repair Installation". I clicked that and went through the Repair process and afterwards the "Save" dialog did not pop up on any files unless I actually changed the file. I can understand why Mr Kremer didn't want to point to that as the cause, but in my case, the problem was caused by the Adobe Acrobat Reader itself, and solved by the repair process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I take it back. Looked at a few more documents, and the dreaded "Do you want to save changes to ... before closing?" dialog has resumed for what appears to be EVERY file. Same type of files, simple scans. Same file location.

Please inform me of the proper way (everything above here did not work), to make it so non-modified files don't ask you whether you want to save or not.

EXTREMELY annoying bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This probably happens because the files were created incorrectly, so the application tries to fix them when you open them (in order to be able to display them). Try downloading some PDF from the internet and see if it still happens. If not, that means the fault is with the application that authors those scanned files you're opening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is correct. I have a fresh install, no plugins, but I'm loading programmatically generated files. At start, there's a 'Fixing up form fields' prompt (so that's the change). Next question tho: what's happening in this process? Is there a log that I can view that shows what 'fixing' is happening? I'm also the one generating the files, it would help a lot to know what that process is. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 'Repair Installation' fixed my issue. I would open an existing PDF and instantly, with no changes, Acrobat Save icon would no longer be greyed out and the file dialogue appeard when closing. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's work for me !

Thanks a lot !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most annoying!  None of these solutions worked.  I just force quit.  If someone has a better solution,please post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User tleetabor's idea fixed my issue. I went to   Help> Repair Acrobat Installation. After computer restart, was no longer and issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see that option in Help. Is that in Acrobat?

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you can find that function on the top left corner of the application.

Garv1908_0-1591893614184.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of the suggestions in this thread to no avail.

Then, I discovered the root of my specific case: Windows 10's "Save as PDF" choice in the print dialog. Upon opening and closing a file saved with that option, Acrobat XI would prompt me save changes. If you are an XI user, choosing to save with "Adobe PDF" may be your solution, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as PDF.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as Adobe PDF did it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help/ Repair Installation worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the answers here was useful for me. None worked. It's not about repairing the program. The allegation that the file is being modified behind the scenes by some plugin (in Reader???) also doesn't make any sense at all. If the Reader or a plug-in is modifying the file without the user being aware of it, then it's up to them to save the file, not the user.

This save prompt is a huge no-no, it's annoying, it's anti-productive, it's non-sensical, it's frustrating, even more in Reader, which is supposed to only display the file, not change them. If somebody finds the fix for this, without it being another false lead, please let me know. There are many users here chanting victory too soon, before the thing is actually proven to work, which is misleading newly arrived users like me (I thought I had found the answer, only to be disappointed after reading more).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe software has always been annoying, user unfriendly, nonsensical etc. In my opinion. I have never liked Adobe. But Adobe PDF is so standard you can´t be without it. I also have the Save-problem when opening and closing do PDF files. It drives me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree. It's crap.

Only happens to me with some pdfs, not all. But cannot stop it when it does.

You'd think the developers could come up with a solution to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw one answer in the Stack Exchange sites that is from way back in 2012 (and was hopeful that it would be the silver bullet, but the answerer himself acknolwedges that it's all that he could think of). It's unbelievable that these people still didn't fix this garbage since 2012. I am very angry and annoyed about this. This type of thing just makes us want to minimize Adobe files usage (if not run away from it entirely). This is very poor software development practices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines