• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat automatically rotates comments

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat Pro and find that sometimes if I add a page from one file into another, any comments that are copied to the new page are automatically rotated if the added page was not the same orientation as the existing document, even if I previously rotated it and saved it to match.

How do I either stop this happening, or how do I rotate the comments to their original orientation?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

You cannot stop this from happening. Here is why you see this behavior: Just because you see a page being oriented "correctly", does not mean that the page was actually created with that rotation. Depending on the application (and the PDF converter used), a page may be created with it's content actually rotated by 90 degrees, but when displayed, you would have to turn your head to read the content, so the application/PDF generator also adds a rotation flag to the page that says "rotate by -90deg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot stop this from happening. Here is why you see this behavior: Just because you see a page being oriented "correctly", does not mean that the page was actually created with that rotation. Depending on the application (and the PDF converter used), a page may be created with it's content actually rotated by 90 degrees, but when displayed, you would have to turn your head to read the content, so the application/PDF generator also adds a rotation flag to the page that says "rotate by -90deg" and this way, the PDF viewer will make sure that you can see the page in it's natural orientation.

Whenever you place an annotation (that is placing it for the first time, not coping an existing one), Acrobat will look at the page rotation, and then place the annotation with a rotation setting applied so that it looks correct on the page. When you copy that annotation, you are also copying that rotation setting so that when you place the annotation on the same page (or a different page in the same document that was created the same way), it looks correct again. However, if you paste that rotated annotation on e.g. an unrotated page (or a page with a different rotation setting), you will end up with something that does not look correct.

What can you do about it? Unfortunately, with the tools you have available in Acrobat, there is nothing you can do. You can write a script that rotates a selected annotation, but this would have to be done after you place the annotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In older versions I was able to highlight a text comment box and simply rotate it. Why is this not an option?

It would help greatly to be able to rotate them. 'bluebeam' does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue! This is the most annoying thing I've had to deal with in Acrobat, and that says A LOT! All of my text is now smooshed together and on an inverted axis. Unbelievable! 27 years to get this right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can copy of the rotated text and paste it into a new, apparently automatically oriented, text box. (The rotated comments problem is as annoying as the modal text pallet that always seems to cover up the text box I'm working in....and the fact that you cannot use a selection rectangle to select comments. ) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines