Highlighted

Acrobat CD stuck in "Retry" install loop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Via Creative Cloud (Mac 10.15.6), I'm attempting to update Acrobat DC (v 20.0).

Each attempts ends in an "Update Failed" status (More info indicates: Error Code 136).

Support docs attributed to Error Code 136 only suggest to "Retry" install.

Error log is as follows:

Exit Code: 7
Please see specific errors below for troubleshooting. For example,  ERROR: DW003, DW006 ...

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------
 - 0 fatal error(s), 2 error(s) 

----------- Payload: Adobe Acrobat DC 20.12.20041.0 Acrobat DC/Acrobat DC Installer.pkg_20.012.20041 -----------
ERROR: DW006: Apple Package failed to install successfully.
ERROR: DW003: Third party payload installer Acrobat DC/Acrobat DC Installer.pkg failed with exit code: 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing left to do it would seem. Not sure how to uninstall Acrobat so I can obtain fresh install package (no application folder)

Suggestions? Ideas?

Correct answer by Marc_LaFoy | Community Beginner

After working 6 different chat support personnel I had no luck resolving this issue. They were also unable to install their remote desktop software to inspect the brand new machine. They had me completely remove and re-install the seven applications I had already installed normally without success. Acrobat 10.0 remained installed "somewhere", and only offered an "Update" to Acrobat DC that would always fail. I left the chat support with the promise of a callback within 24-28 hours.

In the meantime went to work on the problem myself, I applied a system update for Catalina, and went looking for and removed all remianing traces of Acrobat libraries that weren't removed by the the Adobe "cleaners" utilities.

Something must have finally twigged, and I finally got the option to install Acrobat DC. There remains a mysterious Acrobat 10.1.1 install which I can't uninstall or launch (see screenshot) but at least I am able to use the current Acrobat DC.

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 10.31.44 AM.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat CD stuck in "Retry" install loop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Via Creative Cloud (Mac 10.15.6), I'm attempting to update Acrobat DC (v 20.0).

Each attempts ends in an "Update Failed" status (More info indicates: Error Code 136).

Support docs attributed to Error Code 136 only suggest to "Retry" install.

Error log is as follows:

Exit Code: 7
Please see specific errors below for troubleshooting. For example,  ERROR: DW003, DW006 ...

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------
 - 0 fatal error(s), 2 error(s) 

----------- Payload: Adobe Acrobat DC 20.12.20041.0 Acrobat DC/Acrobat DC Installer.pkg_20.012.20041 -----------
ERROR: DW006: Apple Package failed to install successfully.
ERROR: DW003: Third party payload installer Acrobat DC/Acrobat DC Installer.pkg failed with exit code: 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing left to do it would seem. Not sure how to uninstall Acrobat so I can obtain fresh install package (no application folder)

Suggestions? Ideas?

Correct answer by Marc_LaFoy | Community Beginner

After working 6 different chat support personnel I had no luck resolving this issue. They were also unable to install their remote desktop software to inspect the brand new machine. They had me completely remove and re-install the seven applications I had already installed normally without success. Acrobat 10.0 remained installed "somewhere", and only offered an "Update" to Acrobat DC that would always fail. I left the chat support with the promise of a callback within 24-28 hours.

In the meantime went to work on the problem myself, I applied a system update for Catalina, and went looking for and removed all remianing traces of Acrobat libraries that weren't removed by the the Adobe "cleaners" utilities.

Something must have finally twigged, and I finally got the option to install Acrobat DC. There remains a mysterious Acrobat 10.1.1 install which I can't uninstall or launch (see screenshot) but at least I am able to use the current Acrobat DC.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc

We are sorry for the trouble. As decribed yu are getting the erorr code 136 while trying to update the Acrobt DC to the new version 20.12.20041

Would you mind sharing the steps you are doing to update the application? Are you trying to update from the Help menu > Check for Updates or are you trying to manually download the patch using the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Please try to remove the application using the Acrobat Cleaner Tool https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html  , reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

After the application is installed try to update it to the new version and check.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I am updating from the "Updates" page of the Creative Cloud application. It goes through some process and always ends in an Update Failed with the error messages I posted earlier in this thread. 

The Acrobat Cleaner tool found no applications to remove. I already have the Creative Cloud app installed and there is no option other than "Update" for Acrobat DC.

At this point I don't have a working version of Acrobat. I recently migrated to a new Mac, and my legacy versions of Acrobat and Distiller no long function under this operating system.

I purchased a subscription to All Apps and am seeing only the Update option (rather than install) for Acrobat DC in the Creative Cloud app.

regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are glad to hear that you are able to ge the application installed and working.

As the mysterious Acrobat X still remains on the computer, please check in the trash bin and try emptying the trash and see if that makes any difference.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trash emptied. No change.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0