Highlighted

Acrobat crashes while scanning

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While scanning documents, once in a while Acrobat crashes. Then when I restart Acrobat, the scanner isn't recognized anymore. The only thing I can do to proceed scanning is reboot the computer. When the computer is shutting down, I get an error message: logtransport2.exe. I have this problem for years, but at this moment I have to scan a lot of documents and this afternoon I had to reboot my computer three times. That's very annoying.

I use the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and an Epson DS-7500 scanner with the lastest driver software. 

Topics

Crash or freeze, Create PDFs, Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat crashes while scanning

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While scanning documents, once in a while Acrobat crashes. Then when I restart Acrobat, the scanner isn't recognized anymore. The only thing I can do to proceed scanning is reboot the computer. When the computer is shutting down, I get an error message: logtransport2.exe. I have this problem for years, but at this moment I have to scan a lot of documents and this afternoon I had to reboot my computer three times. That's very annoying.

I use the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and an Epson DS-7500 scanner with the lastest driver software. 

Topics

Crash or freeze, Create PDFs, Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat has no scanning capabilities by itself. I interacts with your scanner's software to do what it does in a most seemless way.

What I suggest you try to see if you can separate where the problem might be is to just do a batch of scanning directly with your scanner's software and see if the problem shows up. If it does, than the problem is with the scanning software, if not, than the problem is with Acrobat and then we can go from there.

To do this, save the various scans into a folder in a convenient place (your Desktop?). When you've completed a batch, open the whole batch in Acrobat and when it asks you if you want them joined into one document, say yes. It will then OCR and combine the documents. 

BTW I would suggest you scan at 600 ppi and save as TIF. These will be very large files but once they are converted to PDF the size will be normal PDF sizes.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what Garry said: I've given up on scanning straight into Acrobat - based on almost decades of frustration 🙂 It used to work quite well, but then sometimes around Acrobat 7 or 8, things went south. I use a Mac, so I use the Image Capture tool to scan, and save as a PDF file and then just open that file in Adobe Acrobat Pro and apply all the post processing that I want (e.g. "Optimize Scanned Pages" in Scan & OCR, or just OCR). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karl, please let me help you make MUCH better scans by using the scanning software that came with your scanner. Image Capture is the worst scanning software I've ever had to deal with on many many leves. Whatever kind of scanner you have, no matter how bad the software is, it is better than Image Capture. 

FWIW, years ago the Mac, like the PC user TWAIN to join two different softwares together to use an application. Then, like you said, back around Acrobat 7 or so, Apple stopped using TWAIN because of safety issues (e.g., viruses) and consistant reliability, etc. That's when they fixed up Image Capture to make up the difference. 

FWIW, here's a blog I wrote on how to get better quality scans for creating a PDF. It might help anyone doing these kinds of things:

http://photosbycoyne.com/Gary's_Help/Scanning/clean-scanning.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions. My reaction:

Batch scanning from my scanner's software: no problem. So the problem must be in Acrobat.

I'm pretty shure it has something to do with time-outs. I think once in a while Acrobat doesn't receive the data from the scanner on time and quits the job. And after that, some rubish is left and the only way to proceed scanning is to reboot my computer. I think Acrobat needs to be more robust: give the scanner a bit more time and leave no rubish so that the computer doesn't need to be rebooted.

I'm not a fan of the suggestion to scan with my scanner's software and merge the pictures to PDF in Acrobat, that will cost much more time. Acrobat is one of the most expensive PDF-programs and to my opinion I'm obliged to expect this program to work properly. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
gary_sc LATEST
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Odekkers,

Quick question: you just mentioned "batch scanning." Are you using a batch scanner like a FujiScan?

If so, from my own experience, about 5 years ago, here's what I noticed. As stated above, I could not scan from within Acrobat. I had to use the FujiScan software that also did OCR. I found the actual PDFs wayyyyy too large in storate size (a PDF that should have been about 100 kb was well over 1 MB. In addition, I found the OCR dreadful. Profoundly significantly more errors.

However, I could take that document, run it through Acrobat to re-OCR it and the size of the PDFs was normal and the OCR accuracy was just fine (that means "not perfect but acceptable amount of errors.") The one catch here is that the time it took Acrobat to process the pages took a long time and it overwhelmed my computer. So if I was trying to read email or anything, after every page Acrobat would pop to the frontmost application which meant that I was constantly being interuppted. So, what I did was to scan in the morning, then while I was off at lunch I'd process the results in Acrobat. Then scan in the afternoon and when I left in the afternoon, I'd process that batch. This worked very well. 

Again, I do not know if this applies to your needs and situation but just take that as a thought.

Lastly, personally, I'm not always a solid supporter of one application running another application with an operating system in between using a big variety hardware supporting a wide variety of operating systems to another piece of hardware from a very large range of manufacturers and various drivers, some of which may be up-to-date. That to me seems like a very tall hill to climb. I'd just as soon get the job done. Again, I do NOT work for Adobe and this is my personal feeling. My whole life with computers (since '85) has been "do I want to get the job done or do I want to get the job done the way the manual says it should be done." Sometimes it is a tough call.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF