• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat: Cropping Removes Links and Alt-Text

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use Acrobat Pro to crop the size of pages in an existing file, all the hyperlinks are removed, and the alt-text for images also disappears. I've tried it several times, and I'm completely confused! Everything is fine until I crop the pages, then links and alt-text disappear.

Just in case it's relevant, I'm increasing the page size, with contrained proportions and a Y offset. (To solve a different problem: that there seems to be no way to print/save/export/use the Adobe ribbon from PowerPoint to PDF, showing the Presenter's Notes, and also preserving links and alt-text.)

I'm using Acrobat Pro DC Version 2019.021.20049 on a machine running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17763 Build 17763.

I would be grateful for any guidance.

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Very good suggestion! Mystery solved: the link wasn't removed--it was moved down the page b/c of the Y offset (and was invisible, so of course I couldn't find it unless I knew to look). Thank you very much!

And, as noted in my previous response, the alt-text wasn't removed by Cropping. Alt-text for images was preserved from pptx to pdf, but for charts / tables was not. I'll go see if I can solve that mystery...

Thanks again. I very much appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe your steps to crop. What you describe does not sound like the Crop tool (it has nothing about proportions). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I didn't even know there was more than one cropping tool. Here are my steps:

1) Show the Page Thumnails pane.

2) Right-click on the first page of the file to open the context-based menu/dialog.

3) Select Crop Pages from the menu/dialog.

4) I get a page that looks like this (this isn't my actual document b/c that contains proprietary info, but is an example):

Screenshot 2019-11-13 12.13.30.png

Sorry the image is small.

5) I then select Constrain Proportions, Custom Page Size, and a Y Offset. I apply it to all pages. That causes the links to all just become plain text.

6) My initial post mis-stated one element: the alt-text for images is preserved. This reveals a different issue: the alt-text for graphs does not get transfered to the PDF at all. Much of my document is graphs and charts.

Again, I appreciate any guidance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you taught me something new. That option (Constrain proportions) has been there for years and I never noticed it. It doesn't do what I'd expect (since it doesn't constrain proportions) but I don't think that's your problem.

I did this test:

• Go to Edit PDF, added a web link
  • Go to Pages (thumbnail) view, crop a page
  • Test the link

The link was still fine. So I suggest you do a modified check

• Go to Edit PDF, examine the link. See where it is and what type it is
  • Use cropping as above
  • Go back to Edit PDF, see if the link is still there, if it has gone or changed.

If it has changed or gone, what kind of link was it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very good suggestion! Mystery solved: the link wasn't removed--it was moved down the page b/c of the Y offset (and was invisible, so of course I couldn't find it unless I knew to look). Thank you very much!

And, as noted in my previous response, the alt-text wasn't removed by Cropping. Alt-text for images was preserved from pptx to pdf, but for charts / tables was not. I'll go see if I can solve that mystery...

Thanks again. I very much appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines