Acrobat DC blocks video because of Flash Player

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Since Flash Player's death, I have updated Acrobat DC to the latest version:

ManonD_0-1612447910815.png

But when I export PowerPoint docs with embedded videos, Acrobat still tells me it needs Flash Player to run the the video and blocks the video. I tried with a .pptx created recently but it doesn't change anything. PowerPoint was also updated to the latest version.

Do you have this issue too?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manon

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As mentioned, Acrobat still tells it needs Flash Player to run the the video and blocks the video.

Adobe has ended support for Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourages content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to new open formats, such as HTML5, WebGL, and WebAssembly. For more information, see Flash Player end-of-life.

You may also look at the help page https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html for more information.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal,

Thank you for your answer.

Will there be an update to solve this issue? Or will it not be possible to play videos in PDFs in the future? 

And what can I do for all the videos embedded in PowerPoint documents?

Regards,

Manon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Multimedia that are H.264 compliant can be played back in Adobe Acrobat/Reader (H.264, also known as MPEG-4 part 10, is a video compression standard that provides high-quality video without substantially increasing file size.) Video files of varying formats and filename extensions can be H.264 compliant.

Users must install the appropriate application (such as QuickTime or Windows Media Player) to play the multimedia.

Another way to add multimedia is by entering a URL that refers to a video file or streaming media. Three types of URLs can be used: RTMP, HTTP, and HTTPS. On HTTP and HTTPS servers, H.264-compliant MOV and MP4 files are supported.

Acrobat Pro supports .mp3, .mov, and other files encoded in H.264 (with AAC audio). You can convert other file types into one of the supported formats for using.

Note:

FLV and F4V files are no longer supported in both Acrobat and PDFMaker. You cannot embed FLV and F4V files using either Acrobat or PDFMaker.

For more information, please check the help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/rich-media.html

For information about supported formats please check the page: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/playing-video-audio-multimedia-formats.html#supported_video_au...

Hope this information will help.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal,

Thank you for your answer.

I stumbled upon this page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/flash-format-support-in-pdf.html and it says here: "Converting Office or HTML to PDF with embedded rich media (non-Flash content) will continue to be supported." 

Except it doesn't work anymore.

I enclosed a test PDF with one video in two ways: inserted in the PowerPoint document, and inserted in Acrobat, and the codec of the video. Only the video the video inserted in Acrobat works without the Flash Player warning.

According to the page that you linked and the page that I found, it should be working but it isn't. 

I'm sorry to come back to this but it's important I solve this issue.

Thanks,

Manon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround: create your PDFs as usual without the video files, then uses Acrobat Pro to embed the video files in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello JR,

Yes, this is what I ended up doing, but it's not as effecient as exporting directly from a ppt. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines