• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC Extension for Edge Browser

Explorer ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such an obvious question that I feel stupid even asking... But....

In Chrome, I use the Acrobat DC extension to create PDFs from active web pages... Simple. Works AOK. No problemo...

However, I can't find a way to add Acrobat DC to Edge. Is such an extension simply not available? Is the API not available to allow Adobe developers to create such a beast? Is it available, but my GoogleFoo is too poor to find it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Hugh

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

To be more blunt about it, Microsoft currently does not support such extensions/plug-ins and thus Adobe cannot supply one.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The extension is not available. You can use the Internet Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be more blunt about it, Microsoft currently does not support such extensions/plug-ins and thus Adobe cannot supply one.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I suspected something of the sort, but was surprised when I couldn't readily find a simple answer. When I looked for extensions/plugins for Edge, I found very few available. I figured some sort of API availability issue.

Thanks again,

Hugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hugh,

Norton has a Password Vault and Search extension for Edge; Microsoft has an extension for OneNote 2016. I don't see any reason why Adobe could not now make an Acrobat DC extension for Edge. It would sure be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Microsoft can make extensions! You might find this interesting. Windows 10: Why does Microsoft Edge have only 70 extensions after a whole year? | ZDNet

Interestingly in 2015, Microsoft were saying "it would not support any add-ons except Flash Player" ActiveX support in Microsoft Edge Browser - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INSANE!!

MADNESS!

WITH ALL THE TIME AND MONEY PEOPLE AND COMPANIES INVEST AND SPEND BUYING INTO THE PROMISE OF SEAMLESS EFFICIENCY AND INCREASED PRODUCTION WITH ALL OF THESE APPS AND GADGETS, NOTHING SHOULD BE THIS HARD........

FOR GOD SAKES MICROSOFT AND ADOBE WHAT THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE SIT AROUND THINKING ABOUT WHEN IT COMES TO THESE KINDS OF ISSUES? WHAT?

YOU COMPANIES AND CEO'S ETC., SHOULD BE HELD TO REAL STANDARDS WITH ENFORCABLE RULES-GUIDELINES-ETHICS.......

NUTZ !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there's a misunderstanding. 

Microsoft doesn't support the extension in MS Edge Browser but it does in Internet Explorer 11.

Micrososft does provide third-party support in the New Micrososft Edge browser which is Chrome-based.  Those are two completely different browsers.

It is basically a cloned web browser (as pretty much everything they do in my opinion).  Nevertheless, you can use this extension in this new web browser since it has an option to install add-on from other web-stores.  So you need to download the new Edge browser.

See slides below:

newedge.png

See the bottom left lower corner of the slide. That is how you activate support for third-party web browser extensions in the new MS Edge browser.

newedge2.png

Note: This is about the 5th time I've posted this information since I joined the forums last year. Unless my Edge Browser is unique and different than everybody else, I really don't understand why is it that I don't see anyone yet acknowledging this fact.  And let me clear: I am not  a Micrososft fan boy.  But I think is time to move on past the "Jurassic-Park-web-broswers-star-wars-Era" (i.e. like the days  of Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer), and embrace the Microsoft suck from time to time.

There's plenty of other great Chrome-based web browser that you can experiment with as well.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

thanks for posting this. I have the extension installed in Edge, but when I click on teh acrobat icon I do not see the option to open in acrobat, as you show in your screen shot. The only option I get is to go to Actobat online.

any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Acrobat the default pdf owner in your windows machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new version of Edge, which is Chrome-based, you can now go to the Chrome Web Store and add the Adobe Acrobat extension to Edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like your answer got me somewhat closer to the solution, but unfortunately even though I installed the plugin in Edge from the Chrome Web store, Edge still didn't open pdf files using Acrobat DC that I have installed on my system. Would you happen to have a workaround? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have MS Windows 10, and you haven't been able to set Acrobat Pro DC as the default PDF handler, maybe you need to disable S mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the plugin is only for Adobe Reader and not Acrobat DC. So doesn't help. Thanks anyway. An extension/plug-in would be really helpful though, where all the options in DC are available inside Edge, so that everytime we don't have to save the PDF to a different location and open again with DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the contrary, the Acrobat extension is for using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC features in supported web browsers.

You need to have a paid subscription of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (full desktop version), and also make Acrobat Pro the default PDF handler in your MS Windows operating system.

The older plugins used to work in the way that you're inquiring, but due to security vulnerabilities, the modern family of web browsers won't allow that integration anymore.

As you've pointed out, a PDF may be viewed in a web browser, but

in order to fully edit and change the PDF structure of a PDF document, you'll need a PDF editor (not a reader), in which case, when you click on a link that points to a PDF document, that PDF file will always download to a folder instead of executing as an editable PDF document in a web browsing tab. 

However, even though Internet Explorer 11  will reach end of support by 2022, that is the only web browser that I personally have tested the extension, in which you'll get such integration but it is more like an interface to Adobe Acrobat's online services.

That being the only browser that supports such integration, You should be able to open a PDF document in the Internet Explorer 11 web browser  with most of Acrobat's  editing tools and features... be advised it may be glitchy and slow depending on system specs and personal system configurations (or requirements).

You may see a similar integration with Mozzila Firefox (if they still support the extension) but it is less feature-rich when compared with IE11.

In Chrome-based engine web browsers, such as the new Micrososft Edge web browser, the extension is limitted to just a few features; you'll have the option to open a PDF directly in Adobe  Acrobat to perform editing features, but not directly in the web browser as you would see in Internet Explorer 11.

If, on the other hand, you only have Adobe Reader DC installed in your MS Windows box, you'll be limitted to downloading the file to a folder, reading or viewing the file in Adobe Reader, filling the form, signing,  saving and printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your Edge browser, go to extension and in the bottom left corner and select 'Allow extensions from other stores.'

edge://extensions/ 

yahooshua_0-1626975755685.png

Then go to the Chrome Store and install.
Adobe Acrobat - Chrome Web Store (google.com)

yahooshua_1-1626975781810.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: As of mid October 2021, the version published by Adobe "Adobe Acrobat: PDF edit, convert, sign tools" is now available from the Extensions tab in the new Edge or Chrome browser. It allows a PDF from the internet to be viewed directly in browser. In the browser extension, you can perform simple actions (if the document permits) like highlighting, adding text, printing. In the browser extension, you can choose the free Fill&Sign tool or other tools or 'open in desktop' that will cause it to re-open in either the free Adober Reader or the paid Standard or whatever other desktop version you have installed. Finally, if in the browser extension or if in desktop version, you choose to use a tool not included in your desktop version, you will be led to Adobe's website to trial or purchase that added function or upgrade your version.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the Acrobat extension from the Chrome store fails to open simple .pdf files in the browser, just as the Microsoft store's extension fails. I'm using Windows 10 Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043, Edge Version 100.0.1185.50 (Official build) (64-bit), Adobe Acrobat DC is the default .pdf association in Windows Settings. Edge will not open .pdf files when everything is configured to open them in Edge or everything is configured to open them with the Acrobat extension. People repeating  explanations of how to configure all of this is pointless. It doesn't work for me and seemingly doesn't work for most people.

I stopped using the crash-prone Firefox a week ago and installed Edge for stability and at least my expectation of Chrome functionality. It's been two years since this Chrome-based Edge was released and viewing .pdfs is still busted. At this point it's infuriating, as it's a roadblock to productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and is there no one from Adobe who reads this?  Everone here is looking for functionality in Edge for Acrobat Pro as is provided in the soon to be deleted IE -- not the free extension that is just PR.  Since the support is there for Chrome it should be insanely trivial to bring this to Edge and to update the web site's documentation as well.  I mean who updates the below URL and not be bothered to say anything about Edge?

Converting web pages to PDF, Adobe Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

++ Quick Update to this old thread,

Adding to the topic, IE Mode in Edge is slowly being phased out... this is true for some government organizations that have been transitioning to Windows 11 environments.

From what other users might've discussed in other more recent Acrobat extension topics, if the core engine of Acrobat works in IE Mode on Microsoft Edge but not when you switch back to Edge Mode, ensure that you have fully upgraded to the new Microsoft Edge.

As of last year ( on or around May of 2023), Microsoft and Adobe partnered up to integrate the Adobe Acrobat core engine and replacing Microsoft Edge web browser's native PDF viewer with Adobe's.

But the full move has been postponed to a later date this year amd through 2025:

You may want to try and install the new Acrobat extension for Microsoft Edge, which you may download directly at:

See more here:

NOTE:

So far, it seems to work well and integrates very good with Microsoft Edge for open source Linux operating systems based on Debian/Ubuntu/Red Hat/Fedora distributions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines