Highlighted

Acrobat DC in Windows docker container

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

I'm searching more info to install Acrobat DC in a Windows docker container.
  - Is it feasible?
  - If yes, is there some documentation to get the procedure?

Thanks & regards,
Simon

TOPICS
How to, Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat DC in Windows docker container

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

I'm searching more info to install Acrobat DC in a Windows docker container.
  - Is it feasible?
  - If yes, is there some documentation to get the procedure?

Thanks & regards,
Simon

TOPICS
How to, Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which operating system are you trying to do this?  And what is the container Host...Linux?

Are you using Windows Server Core?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Host: Windows 10 build 19041

Container: Windows Server Core. Here the base image: mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:ltsc2019

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
ls_rbls LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is what I found for you:

According to Micrososft support guidance, it is feasible to install the Docker and be able to run any application in that container as you would normally in real desktop environment.

The only observations I have is that the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC  licensing might be an issue since you can install your Acrobat in more than computer but only run one isntance at a time; not simultaneously. That means that you will always need to sign-off from one computer in order to be able to sign-in in the other computer (in this context (your case), that other computer will be the host container app).

From what I've read in these forums before, Adobe Acrobat is not designed to virtualize very well in this type of setting.

For instance, it may be possible that you'll need to customize an installation image and disable the automatic updates due to  known issues  in relation to Document Cloud services, or any other  Cloud-based aspects of Acroba that don't work well in a virtual environment..

Enforcing Group Policy after setting up lockable registry settings(so that the users don't mess around with some settings) is another constraint that you may or may not run into,  not to mention, to also be aware of Named User License (NUL) deployment instead of seriliazed installations. This last remark may pose product subscription  activation or deactivation issues when Acrobat is run in a virtualized container. 

The other area of Adobe Acrobat that is often overlooked is the fact that while your Windows host(s), the server, and the Docker container(s) are all 64-bit programs, Acrobat (and Adobe Reader DC)  still is a 32-bit app, .

Expect possible PDF rendering issues, specifically file sharing issues in which Protected View/Protected Mode is involved like in the case of sharing secured files over mapped network drives with elevated user privileges.

Then you'll also have to factor in the Internet Explorer11(setting up the appropriate Internet trusted zones) and/or the  MS Edge integration with Acrobat  which is known to take over PDF ownership on every update (as reported by Adobe community users), which  also integrates with the Windows Explorer file system browser. This too, sometimes is the cause of virtualization integration problems.

My best suggestion is that you're gonna need to do some additional reading and consult with the Enterprise Virtualization Guide and test if it is feasible or not. You may be lucky, but then agaian, have you checked if roaming user profiles are even supported?

See the virtualization guide here:

And see additional notes here: https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/technical-support-boundaries-virtualized-server-based.html

Let me know if this answers your question. I can do some extra info-digging

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0