Highlighted

Acrobat DC Pro--can I make select tool default??

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I use Acrobat for heavy editing purposes and the random HAND TOOL as default is driving me nuts. Is there any way to set the select tool as default? I've seen several articles on how to do this in Reader, but none for Acrobat Pro DC. I am using Windows 10. I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

I have already done the folllowing under preferences:

Accessibility:

* checked "Always display the keyboard selection cursor"

General

* Unchecked all the "Make Hand Tool..." and "Make Select tool..." options.

Documents

* Checked "Restore last settings when reopening documents"

In the registry, I have this:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Selection

NADA. Every time I open a new doc, it's the hand tool. And after each change of tool, it goes back to HAND TOOL. I NEVER USE HAND TOOL. Please help! THANK YOU!!!!!

I had to disable the touchscreen from the device manager on the laptop and that worked for me.

Thank you this resolved my issue.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat DC Pro--can I make select tool default??

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I use Acrobat for heavy editing purposes and the random HAND TOOL as default is driving me nuts. Is there any way to set the select tool as default? I've seen several articles on how to do this in Reader, but none for Acrobat Pro DC. I am using Windows 10. I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

I have already done the folllowing under preferences:

Accessibility:

* checked "Always display the keyboard selection cursor"

General

* Unchecked all the "Make Hand Tool..." and "Make Select tool..." options.

Documents

* Checked "Restore last settings when reopening documents"

In the registry, I have this:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Selection

NADA. Every time I open a new doc, it's the hand tool. And after each change of tool, it goes back to HAND TOOL. I NEVER USE HAND TOOL. Please help! THANK YOU!!!!!

I had to disable the touchscreen from the device manager on the laptop and that worked for me.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 06, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ISBN,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Please try the suggestion given in the following thread and check if that helps:

Select tool/Hand tool - Changing default preferences

Thanks,

Shivam

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam, none of these steps worked for me either.  Do you have any further suggestions on how to make the select tool default?

thanks

Sue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit - For more information.

2 Machines Dell E5470 and a Dell E5480. Windows 10 Pro with builds 1607 and 1709 in regards to Adobe Reader DC and Acrobat Pro DC.  I had to disable the touchscreen from the device manager on the laptop and that worked for me.  The E5470 is on a docking station connected to two monitors and the laptop lid is closed.  The 5480 just uses the laptop LCD.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post below.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I solved this but then it just got worst.  On my laptop I just reverted to Acrobat Pro XI that solved it, but then I remoted into work and the desktop without a touchscreen was detecting my touchscreen and reverted to the hand!  Acrobat I don't need the hand I have a job to do!  Is there any thing that can change this and don't tell me to turn off something I paid a lot of money for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing (no pun intended) in the right direction.  I have a Surface Book 3 which has a touch screen, but it's automatically disabled when a mouse is connected (which for me is all the time).  However, I found that in Preferences -> General, setting Touch Mode to Never got me back to the select tool I've been wanting!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 1
NoraCC LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the other options out there, but in Adobe, doing Edit, Preferences, General, and Touch Mode: Neveris the only thing that worked. Thanks! Hopefully other people can just go directly to this method!! Thanks so much again!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0