• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC stopped opening .html files

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years, I've been using "Open With Adobe Acrobat" in the Windows explorer context (right-click) menu to open .html files.

Sometime within the last month, Acrobat has started producing an error "This file format cannot be converted to PDF using drag and drop or right click Menu. To convert, launch Acrobat and go to File>Create".

So far, this has happened for every .html file I've tried including both files that opened fine a month ago and Adobe provided html files (e.g., "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\P6\OBLRes\en_US\LicenseFAQ.html"). I am able to use Acrobat's Open>File command to open this html file. Firefox and Chrome can both open the file from the context menu.

Does anyone have a workaround for this situation?

I'm using Acrobat Pro DC Continuous Release | Version 2019.010.20064. on Windows 10.

Thanks

Mike

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Hi Mikebk,

Sorry for the delay in response.

The issue that you have mentioned above is not a bug, it is designed behavior.

With the recent update, automatic conversion from the command prompt, drag-drop and context menu is disabled.

You will be able to open the HTML file only via the option File > Create in Acrobat application.

Hope that answers your query.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mikebk  wrote

Does anyone have a workaround for this situation?

Hi Mike,

To confirm:

It works with Firefox and Chrome

It works with Acrobat: File > Create

Is there a reason that these methods don’t work for your workaround?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat in a small workflow where I've been using Acrobat to open both html and PDF files. I then use Acrobat to view/edit the file and save any changes in a PDF file. I'm opening the file by either choosing Open With Acrobat from an explorer context menu or by using the file's path as a parameter in a command line invocation of Acrobat.

The problem is that Acrobat has stopped opening the same .html files it's opened over a number of years. I first investigated if there was something wrong with the html contents. The files opened properly in Chrome, Firefox and even with Acrobat's File>Open command. Acrobat wasn't even able to open Adobe provided .html files from an Adobe folder in my Program Files folders.

There is an obvious workaround - manually starting Acrobat and opening html files using its File>Open command. This is undesirable as it requires repeated manual steps.

Would you have any ideas for a less tedious workaround?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's recent, it sounds like a bug. You can report it to the engineering team at UserVoice:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mikebk,

Sorry for the delay in response.

The issue that you have mentioned above is not a bug, it is designed behavior.

With the recent update, automatic conversion from the command prompt, drag-drop and context menu is disabled.

You will be able to open the HTML file only via the option File > Create in Acrobat application.

Hope that answers your query.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is not an acceptable change in my opinion.  It adds time to my workload.  Please explain why this is designed behavior. Is there anyway for me to use my Adobe Acrobat Pro for just this conversion and the Adobe Acrobat PC for other tasks?  There has to be a way for me to restore functionality.  I need to convert the file and save it to a folder before I can use Adobe Acrobat DC to create a file.  This adds multiple clicks and saving to my daily work.  Please help make some suggestions for a workaround!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines