• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC will not open old PDF files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to the subscription version of Acrobat DC; I previously had Acrobat XI without subscription. I'm on an HP Spectre laptop with Windows 10.

The problem is whenever I try to open a PDF created with Acrobat XI, I get the following message:

"There was an error opening this document. The file cannot be accessed by the system."

I suspect I can find a work-around by opening with Edge or another search engine, but I don't think I should have to do that. 

Can someone please help?

Thank you.

Julie Klein

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Problem solved! I had to add Dropbox to to the accounts listed under Files on the Acrobat DC Home screen. Ta-da!

One quirk, though, is that I have to open the file from Acrobat rather than double-clicking on the file in Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be something to do with a cloud sync, perhaps not Acrobat at all. Try copying the file to your desktop first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck, but thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to previous post:

First, I cannot open documents on Google or Edge, so that's a failed work-around.

Second, when I open a PDF through Dropbox on my iPad, I can open it just fine. So the problem, I'm guessing, if not with Acrobat DC, is possibly with Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just for snickers and giggles, I tried opening my old files with Acrobat Reader DC. Still unable to access them on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the files saved on Dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd Alheit: Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved! I had to add Dropbox to to the accounts listed under Files on the Acrobat DC Home screen. Ta-da!

One quirk, though, is that I have to open the file from Acrobat rather than double-clicking on the file in Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines