• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Exits when trying to view interactive PDFs

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to view an Interactive PDF with video embedded I get the following message 'This PDF cannot be viewed in Acrobat or Reader, and the application will now exit'. This only happens when I try to view a page in the PDF that has video embedded, I can view any other page in the PDF with no issues. This happens if I have created the PDF (from InDesign) or I try to open a PDF created by another person. Anyone having the same issue and any idea why this may be happening? I am on a MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Beta using the latest versions of Indesign and Acrobat DC.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Hey Fill32, 

As shared, that this problem only appears when you try to view the pdf generated from InDesign. Have you tried any other pdf that has a video embedded in it but created using Acrobat or any other pdf creator? Does it work or play the video for you?

Check the following-

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Fill32, 

As shared, that this problem only appears when you try to view the pdf generated from InDesign. Have you tried any other pdf that has a video embedded in it but created using Acrobat or any other pdf creator? Does it work or play the video for you?

Check the following-

• Though you have mentioned that you are using the latest Acrobat DC, still we would like you to cross check the version. DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products
  • You can set the legacy multimedia player options under Edit > Preferences > Multimedia (legacy) if you know your preferred media player.
  • Open Acrobat>Edit >Preferences> check Multimedia Trust (legacy) and check what all operations are allowed under it-

• For testing, disable "Protected View" under Preferences>Security (Enhanced).

Note: Changing the above security settings could pose security risks. We suggest you to turn it back On once you are done with testing.

Let us know the result.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue seems to be fixed now. I implemented the above suggestions. I checked I was using the latest version of Acrobat DC (version 19.0) and then changed the suggested preferences. The issue did not fix instantly upon changing the settings, but after quitting Acrobat and restarting my machine the issue appears to be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fill32 

This is a great news! Thanks for taking out time for sharing the updates and your finding with us.

Let us know if there is any further assistance is required.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and I have tried exactly what you said and Fill32 did, and nothing changed for me, keeps un crashing each time I try to open a pdf with video content, its really frustrating. I use windows and Adobe Acrobat pro 2020, acrobat is totally updated, I don´t really know how to proceed. Please help us fixing this bug. Its urgent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This version of ADOBE suite has to be rewrite or fix!!!
Too many problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest that you try and apply the two updates that were released for May 2020. A few issues were addressed.

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problems after the recent Adobe updates … none of my interactive PDFs created with Indesign are working anymore, they crash Acrobat DC with the same error. Very frustrating.

I have tried all of the above suggestions to no avail.

Please help — we are running all our lectures here at uni using Indesign and interactive PDFs. Immensely frustreating. Products from the same company!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this will help but here are the settings I have set based on the suggested fix above.Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 3.27.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 3.28.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 3.32.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Fill, I tried all that, but still the same issues … many thanks though. I really hope someone from Adobe will pick this up.

cheers

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue... I made a presentation in InDesign... exported as a pdf (Adobe PDF (Print)) - I tried Interactive also, but no difference. When I get the file open in Acrobat I import the video and place it... I am able to do that.. for the most part... And I am able to play some of the videos, but it will randomly crash/ or exit / with that same error. I cannot get through all of the videos.. and sometimes I can play 3 and it will crash on the last one - or it crashes on the first one... or in the middle. very frustrating. I made the changes suggested, but they do not seem to matter. Please help!

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe!!

I have the same problem... new Mac, last OS X and the last Adobe Creative Suite. 

I need help on how fix this problem. 
Acrobat crash exactly in the same way described here from the others. 
I am a professor and I need the pdf can contain Video. 

please, how can we fix this problem?!? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There was a new update for Acrobat published a few days ago.

Have you been able to update to the most current version and see if the problem is somehow fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes, I have updated every software. I have the last version and I have still the problem.

I also tried to, remove acrobat and then reainstall acrobat, but still… I have this big problem…

How can we fix it??

Please, it is really an important problem…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am going to need specifics about your system to be able to help.

When you say the latest OSX are we referring to Catalina? macOS 10.15.1?

When you mention Acrobat are talking abour Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat Pro DC?

You also mentioned about Creative Suite which is not available for purchase anymore, this is done now through a paid subscription with  Creative Cloud. See here: 

https://www.adobe.com/products/cs6.html

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud.html

Also read carefully the folowing information about what you have: 

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2019-release-out-free-trials.html

In any case, if you do have a paid subscription for Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, I would defintely recommend to isolate the problem by focusing only on installing Adobe Acrobat Pro offline.

I would disbale, just for troubleshooting purposes, any creative suite software, and uninstall the Creative Cloud Desktop App if you have it installed, and download the full offline installer for Adobe Acrobat Pro from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html

Once you've install it open it and log in with your AdobeID  from within Acrobat Pro to activate it again. You ahould be able to work with it with  no further problem. 

After this is done, then you should try and reinstall your Creative Cloud Desktop App frome here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

or see here  https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-apps-download.html#Downloadlinks  to download your apps individually and have more control over each product deployment:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Some info first, I have the adobe full account, the paid one, on a Mac with Catalina 10.15.1 (19B88). Everything all updated.

I tried the method you said. Disintalling Acrobat ad installing full acreobat pro DC from the link you gave me, but I still have the same problem.

I did alla you say me, but I was not able to disintall every app, beacause I have a long term preferences that I want to save. So, If you say me how to disintall everyapp, but leaving my preferences for the next intallation… i could check to redoing the installation.

At the moment, just disintalling acrobat, and installing it from the link you gave me. It doesn't work.

How can we fix the problem??

Is very important…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the steps in this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

This links shows hot to uninstall the Creative Cloud desktop app properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELLO,

Finally I have the time to do what you have suggested me.

So I did all in the link, then I have uninstalled all the app (indesign, acrobat, etc) and then reinstalled.

IT DOESN'T WORK. THE PDF CRASH ON THE VIDEO PAGE. EVERYTIME.

What can I do???

IT'S A BIG PROBLEM… 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Let's do this again starting here:

• go online here: https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html?promoid=1XGJD4QX&mv=other and in that page scroll down and click on the link that says Sign In to Contact Us  to use the Adobe Customer Care Virtual Assistant. If the help provided by the Adobe Rep doesn't resolve your issue, skip to the next bulletized suggestions below.

• Change or modify the extension preferences in macOS as a troubleshooting approach, not the addons  ("Apple menu"--->>> System--->>>Preferences--->>Extensions).   Refer to the macOS User Guide here: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-extensions-preferences-mchl8baf92fe/mac  (select your OS version from the pulldown menu at the top of that page and follow the tips  described in the table that will appear below). There could be apps extensions intefering during the macOS startup process and the programs that continue to run in the background after the machine is booted up.

Uninstall again but let's use the following tools instead to remove old traces of previously installed software in your machine:

Then proceed to download and install again using these links (if one doesn't work, try again using the other; be advised that you have to uninstall again before trying another installation to remove old traces once more):

NOTE: You may also want to update graphic card's drivers by downloading  from the device manufacturer's support website and also reverify if you've missed any configuration steps in other areas as described in the following guide: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/playing-video-audio-multimedia-formats.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have completed all the suggested changes in Acrobat preferences and i still cannot view Embedded Videos in pages in a PDF, it crashes on those pages, had support person from adobe remote on for over an hour, then gave up. issue still not resolved. Using the latest version of Mac OSX Mojave and Latest Acrobat Pro DC.

Can somebody please fix this issue.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

exactly the same issues here still, I've posted messages to Adobe, nobody cares. A lot of our lectures are in interactive PDF from Indesign. I will start to lobby our university to cancel their Adobe Creative Cloud business plan. This silence from Adobe is absolutely ridiculous. If anybody has ideas how to get some sort of qualified response or at least an acknowledgement from them that would be great.

best

Stefan from Imperial College London

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am somewhat  familiarized with Adobe Reader DC and Adobe Acrobat PR DC and  I would like to jump in and share some of my less qualified ideas in lieu of the lack of responses as expressed above in this thread.  I do understand the technical frustrations that some of may bump with  when trying to achieve important things with a computer.

I have to acknowledge though, that I've never used InDesign, that I am a MS Windows user,  and that my responses are a little long (not necessarily to the point);  I will, however, always strive  be as  empathetic as I can be to get to the root of a technical issue. That is as qualified as I can get and give something back to the community.

So I've been reading some of the concerns expressed here and I  came up with a few observations.

As a MS Windows10  user, for example, it is very common to backup your work, uninstall software, use cleanup tools, reinstall the offending software, apply all the necessary updates to include patches or recommended hot-fixes from the vendor(s).

--Assuming that all of the uninstall / reinstallation of software was performed as the first troubleshooting attempt, then apply all necessary  updates and fixes as the secondary troubleshooting attempt, then install/enable or update the correct flashplayer plugin for your operating system (and browser) as the third troubleshooting attempt, then,  check for what other Adobe  applications are being shared between the Adobe Acrobat and InDesign products.

Log in to the Adobe  Creative Cloud Service with your user account and see if there are any other apps that are shared between the two products; disable /enable as needed and check if that would do any difference.

When, and if,  all of those steps were fullfilled, it becomes a lot easier to narrow down if the file conversion problem is actually related to export configuration issues from the InDesign app, or , importing to PDF  configuration settings need to be modified  in Adobe Acrobat (or on both).

The rich-media addon tool by  itself is very straight forward so I wouldn't spend too much time fighting with it, except for the fact that the correct adobe flash-player plugin needs to be installed in your systems.

Also, the default video player that handles the actual playback of the embeeded file in the PDF document, the media format assigned to the video file when it was created with InDesign,  and:

--- Is the converted to PDF file optimized? reduced in file size? compressed in any way during the export?

---if the selected video player in Adobe Acrobat is able to  retain height and width ratios of the interactive content or original video.

---video format; what  type of video file is it?

----is it a file to be played  invoking a   URL  from  Adobe Acrobat?

Please refer to this link: Adding multimedia to PDFs

And instead of using "Print" check this option : "The Adobe PDF (Interactive) format is for saving aPDF with interactivity added in InDesign, like links, buttons, video, and more"  see link below

Share InDesign projects |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found these two links useful:

InDesign system requirements

InDesign system requirements

How to export

Export InDesign files to Adobe PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the main issue here is that Acrobat used to work with embedded videos... and has never been a problem. Now, Adobe have forced the use of Flash to play embedded videos, the quality is hugely diminished, and now it doesn't seem to play at all, and crashes out. This bug just needs fixing, Adobe need to allow the playing of videos without using Flash and hanging onto an old technology. Please can Adobe give me a resolution, or a time when this will be fixed. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 years later and this bug still isn't fixed? Akanchha steps don't work, but even if they had I can't change the preferences on every students computer we share a PDF with! What has Adobe done to make sure video plays within the PDF? I'm not using Indesign, I'm inserting video directly with Adobe Acrobat. Then I save, view the report, it crashes when I try to play the video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines