• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat fillable form auto populate fields

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a simple fillable form with some fields auto-populating in a section at the bottom.

I'd like my user to be able to change some of those auto-populated fields if needed.

Anyone know how to achieve this?

(I've created in Acrobat Pro. If my user fills it in Reader does that make a difference? I can't test it myself in Reader as it keeps crashing and crashing.)

Stumped...

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

In order to do that you have to give those fields unique names and then use a script to copy the value from the main field to them. For example, let's say you have fields called Name and Name_Copy.

Set the custom validation script of "Name" to the following code:

this.getField("Name_Copy").value = event.value;

When the user updates that field it will automatically copy the value they entered into the Name_Copy field, but they'll still be able to independently edit the value of Name_Copy, if

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, you want the users using Acrobat Reader DC to change the fields in the PDF form if required.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a freeware application with limited functionality. It is used to view , read, fill and sign and annotate the PDF files. For more information about Acrobat Reader DC application please check out the help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/faq.html

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to do that you have to give those fields unique names and then use a script to copy the value from the main field to them. For example, let's say you have fields called Name and Name_Copy.

Set the custom validation script of "Name" to the following code:

this.getField("Name_Copy").value = event.value;

When the user updates that field it will automatically copy the value they entered into the Name_Copy field, but they'll still be able to independently edit the value of Name_Copy, if they wanted to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I will try that today and reply back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Try67 - I failed and I think I need a bit more clarification.

My first field is ID#

It populates to:

View 1

View 2 (up to view 6)

When the Id# is first entered, it populates across all the views. I then want my user to be able to change the view id names if necessary.

From your directions: Do I give each "view" a unique name? But then where do I put the validation script?

(I tried going to my first populated field and changed the name from ID# to ID#2. Then I went to it's validation field and enter the script: this.getField("ID#2").value = event.value;

but it did not work. The field didn't populate, of course because the name became unique.

Do I put the script in the ordinal ID# validation area and make a separate script for each view?

Thank you for your help and patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, put the script in the first field's Validation event.

PS. I would choose a different naming scheme, because Acrobat uses the pound/hash symbol ("#") to represent fields with the same name, so it could become confusing. Maybe call them IDNumber1, IDNumber2, etc., instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got it! And thanks for the tip on changing out the hashtags.

Wow. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines