• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Font Problem

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have this font problem that it doesnt let me use it or when i write with it its not that font.

I made a short video of it where I found maybe be the problem with it. Does anyone know what could be the solution to this?

I want to use this font really bad I can use the selected font but its not actually that font when im writing

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Acrobat's forms capability only allows use of fonts that permit editable embedding. Many commercial fonts only all preview and print embedding. That is a very likely cause of the problem here. In the Windows Font Control Panel, right click on the font in question. In the details pane, look at the line Font embeddability. If that doesn't say Editable or Installable, then you cannot use that font for a form field.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

OK.

Downloaded the font family, installed the fonts, and was able to fully duplicate the problem you experienced using the Louis George Café Regular font.

Since I had never seen this type (pun intended) problem before and because after choosing the font, the font name field appeared grayed out, I looked at what may have been different with this font.

I noticed that the font name within the font (not the file name) had a non-ASCII character, é. Although there is nothing wrong with that, it was somew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat's forms capability only allows use of fonts that permit editable embedding. Many commercial fonts only all preview and print embedding. That is a very likely cause of the problem here. In the Windows Font Control Panel, right click on the font in question. In the details pane, look at the line Font embeddability. If that doesn't say Editable or Installable, then you cannot use that font for a form field.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Dov. Although that font says that its embeddability is Editable and the font itself is good for commercial use even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reviewed your video a few times, but it was very hard to see the name of the exact font that you chose. Any chance you can identify that font for us?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sure. The font is Louis George Cafe.

Downloadable from several sites and free to use for commercial use aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to get a legal copy of it and see what's going on.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Downloaded the font family, installed the fonts, and was able to fully duplicate the problem you experienced using the Louis George Café Regular font.

Since I had never seen this type (pun intended) problem before and because after choosing the font, the font name field appeared grayed out, I looked at what may have been different with this font.

I noticed that the font name within the font (not the file name) had a non-ASCII character, é. Although there is nothing wrong with that, it was somewhat unusual. I patched the font file with a binary editor to change ​é ​to ​e​. I installed the modified font, restarted Acrobat, and voila, the problem went away.

Attached is a copy of that modified font file. (Attachment is actually a .zip file from which you can extract the .ttf font file!)

Try uninstalling your current Louis George Café Regular font and install this one. Edit the PDF form and select this patched font. Let me know whether this solves the problem for you.

I'll file an internal bug against Acrobat's forms facility with regards to this oddball problem, although it is unlikely to be fixed very quickly.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dov,

I have another problem with this font. When I type "f" and "l" characters next to each other it automatically becomes "fi". This problem only appears when with these two characters and in this specific sequence.

Any idea why?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The â€˜f’ and ‘i’ combination is yielding a single character ‘fi’ is what is called a ligature. The availability of ligatures in a font depends upon the designer of the font. Ligatures are fairly common in advanced TrueType and OpenType fonts, especially serif and decorative fonts. You didn't indicate whether this appeared based on your entering text in some text editor, word processor, or publishing software or somehow in Acrobat (such as the PDF edit feature), but generally, ligatures are associated with styles specified in your authoring program. Acrobat doesn't automatically create or change text to use ligatures — in fact, the only way to get ligatures into a PDF file is via cutting and pasting from a character map.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dov,

Appreciate the quick and explanatory response. The issue appears when I use the font in InDesign specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign is very typographically-oriented. If your font has common ligatures and you don't turn off the option for ligatures in your paragraph styles, you'll get them. Actually, there are several forms of ligatures including extended ligatures, historical ligatures, etc.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news Dov?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll respond after I get a copy and can try it out. Please remember that although an Adobe employee, I am not part of Technical Support.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See response above!    I've found the problem!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so so much Dov it worked! you helped A LOT! Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines