Highlighted

Acrobat freezing up on large paged files (small file size).

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of my job, I receive extremely high paged pdf documents ranging from 7,000 to over 100,000 pages with the file size ranging from 10MB to 3GB at the most.  These files do contain some jpg. formatted images, but they are primary text.  All files come from the same source and are all formatted the same.

As an example, I currently have a 41,000+ page file that is only 633MB, and after reviewing the document for about 30 minutes (only doing advanced searches, CTRL+F searches, copying the text, etc) Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and Reader DC will gray over with “Not Responding”, thus causing me to continually have to exit and restart it. 

For those wondering:
Newer computer

Windows 10 Pro (updated to latest version)

Intel – i7-8700 CPU

24GB RAM

500GB SSD

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (updated to latest version)

Adobe Acrobat Reader (updated to latest version)

I have done and/or attempted the following on any file this occurs:

Uninstalled/reinstalled the software.

Restarted my computer.

All files are indexed by me before I start working on them. 

Multiple times did the “regedit:” and delete Adobe and Settings caches.

Multiple attempts with customer service to remedy the issue.

I have shut off the automatic recognize text feature (don't need it).

Attempted to optimize the pdf (failed and locked down overnight).

Attempted to reduce the file size (failed and locked down overnight).

Attempted to break the file in half (not really a recommended idea for my work).

Opened with Reader DC instead (locked up as well).

Modified settings of Documents > Automatically save document changes…, Always reduce size…, etc.

Modified settings of Page Display > Page Layout, Resolution, etc.

Modified settings of Reading > Page Vs Document, etc.

Modified settings of Search > Maximum Cache Size (increased to 2GB), Purge Cache Contents, etc.

Any help would be appreciated,

Schaeffer

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat freezing up on large paged files (small file size).

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of my job, I receive extremely high paged pdf documents ranging from 7,000 to over 100,000 pages with the file size ranging from 10MB to 3GB at the most.  These files do contain some jpg. formatted images, but they are primary text.  All files come from the same source and are all formatted the same.

As an example, I currently have a 41,000+ page file that is only 633MB, and after reviewing the document for about 30 minutes (only doing advanced searches, CTRL+F searches, copying the text, etc) Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and Reader DC will gray over with “Not Responding”, thus causing me to continually have to exit and restart it. 

For those wondering:
Newer computer

Windows 10 Pro (updated to latest version)

Intel – i7-8700 CPU

24GB RAM

500GB SSD

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (updated to latest version)

Adobe Acrobat Reader (updated to latest version)

I have done and/or attempted the following on any file this occurs:

Uninstalled/reinstalled the software.

Restarted my computer.

All files are indexed by me before I start working on them. 

Multiple times did the “regedit:” and delete Adobe and Settings caches.

Multiple attempts with customer service to remedy the issue.

I have shut off the automatic recognize text feature (don't need it).

Attempted to optimize the pdf (failed and locked down overnight).

Attempted to reduce the file size (failed and locked down overnight).

Attempted to break the file in half (not really a recommended idea for my work).

Opened with Reader DC instead (locked up as well).

Modified settings of Documents > Automatically save document changes…, Always reduce size…, etc.

Modified settings of Page Display > Page Layout, Resolution, etc.

Modified settings of Reading > Page Vs Document, etc.

Modified settings of Search > Maximum Cache Size (increased to 2GB), Purge Cache Contents, etc.

Any help would be appreciated,

Schaeffer

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 02, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a regression?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, nothing even remotely as complex as that.

Basically, I just need to search the pages, copy the text, sometimes extract sections of a pdf, and I type a report of what is discovered… that is all I need to do.

I just realized that opening the pdf file in Google Chrome seems to be working a lot better, which I do not like.  I would prefer to use Adobe, if possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By regression I mean was previous version of Acrobat working? Chrome is using pdfium https://bugs.chromium.org/p/pdfium/issues/list it has a lot of bugs. But some things work better in pdfium, like ligartures. So you can use it. It is also 64 bit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I thought you were thinking I was looking up stuff for things like pulling data for Linear Regression Models.  

A few years back I was using older versions of Reader and they did alright after it built up the search cache and were index embedded, but when I got Pro DC and continued to update, it slowly and progressively got worse and worse on just going through the pages.  Searches are a nightmare now.  It appears as if there is/are automatic process Pro DC has running in the background that are slowing down the pdf.  All other programs work perfectly, even when Pro DC is not responding.  

Chrome is way faster, but I cannot extract pages/sections with Chrome.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0