Highlighted

Acrobat is installing an update I did not authorize and completely out of the blue!

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a project. Why would I update my software in the middle of an incomplete project, that's bad practice, so I wouldn't do it!

Acrobat Pro suddenly quits when I open a file and tells me it needs to install a required update. Strange, I don't ever make or allow updates in the middle of working, they are end of day, end of project tasks that are not supposed to interfere with daily working tasks that have deadlines!

I am now completely stuck with a piece of software that will not start! I can not complete the task I am working on. This is not the first time this has happened in our network.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It would so much easier to deal with if I had been warned of this or even shown some type of ongoing progress.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat is installing an update I did not authorize and completely out of the blue!

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a project. Why would I update my software in the middle of an incomplete project, that's bad practice, so I wouldn't do it!

Acrobat Pro suddenly quits when I open a file and tells me it needs to install a required update. Strange, I don't ever make or allow updates in the middle of working, they are end of day, end of project tasks that are not supposed to interfere with daily working tasks that have deadlines!

I am now completely stuck with a piece of software that will not start! I can not complete the task I am working on. This is not the first time this has happened in our network.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It would so much easier to deal with if I had been warned of this or even shown some type of ongoing progress.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 04, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete,

This is really sad to hear about such unpleasant experience. The intention wasn't to cause interruption in between your work. 

Whenever there's an update launch, by default Acrobat is set to install them automatically. 

You can get a hold on this whether you want to install the update or not. For that you need to make a small change in Acrobat's preferences, but in case there's a patch released, you have to install the update manually. 

Adobe officially doesn't recommend you to disable the auto-update off. However, if this is something that you really want, then you can change these setting:

Open Acrobat>Edit>Preferences>Updater>uncheck "Automatically Install updates">OK>close Acrobat and reopen. 

Hope this would help in future. 

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, frankly it didn't help! I had already done that before this even happened. It is common practice to turn off those settings to ensure that updates do not interfere with projects in mid flow.

So why did this update happen over a week after my colleague had the same thing happen? You see, when the same update caused alarm in the same fashion in the first instance, I made sure that setting was correctly set on my machine. I had a very time sensitive project that needed no interference by updates and data loss.

How did my machine suddenly decide to change the setting itself and allow the update to happen?

It didn't!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0