Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat no longer selecting and editing text. Text overlaps itself

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a pdf file then turned it into a form. I sent the file off to my client to use in her business. There is one small typo, but I can't fix it. The bounding box is normal and looks like it should be an easy fix, but I can no longer select the text. When I try to place my cursor in the box and type, all the text jumps into a single-spaced area, overlapping itself and becoming unreadable.  

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your second screenshot if you look to the far right margin of that bounding box there is an exclamation mark icon.

Click on it and see if you can get an additional tooltip with instructions.

From the way it looks I can only think of a text box on top of another, or, if you were copying text from a scanned document, or, if there are additional blabk lines or spaces that need to be deleted.

If you were copying and pasting text instead of typing it, delete this text box and create a new one.

Verify that on the document that you're copying text from that you right-click on the selection and choose from the context menu "Copy with Formatting" instead of just "Copy"; then paste it in your PDF and see if this resolves the issue.

And you paste text in that box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some box pop up saying I had something running in the background and it gave me a couple of options for viewing. I accidentally closed it or I could be more specific.

The little error icon is telling me that my original font is not in place and it will substitute a different font. I was able to increase the spacing of the current box and it stretched the words back out. The spacing is still off though. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 10.32.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not edit a PDF file like that. Go back to the original file, make the edits there and then create a new PDF file from it. If you added form fields then use the Replace Pages command on the old version and insert the pages from the new version into it. Your fields, scripts, bookmarks, etc. will remain in tact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am simply trying to add one space between two words, so I thought it would be fine. Thank you for the helpful info about replacing a page. I will try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to follow Try67's recommendations and acrobat is not allowing me to delete any pages or replace my new pages. The application does nothing when I delete a page and when I attempt to replace a page, I am met with the message "A number is out of range". I am usually very computer savvy and have never had any issues with Acrobat, so I am not sure what is happening.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 3.13.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really don't know if try67 recommendation was necessary. He is on the ball though and I understood his intent by recommending that approach. I just don't think this route  was necessary. 

In any case,  according to the Adobe Helpx guidance this is how to fix that:

Going back to your original inquiry I normally resolve issues like this one very easily with the "Edit PDF" tool.

Looking at your screenshot again, I think that  all you had to do is grab the right margin of the bounding box and expand it to the right. Moving it further away to the right  will enlarge the whole text frame which will allow to also work more comfortably with the text in it. 

Also, in your last screenshot note that the "Paragraph spacing" and the "Character spacing" are not set to  "0".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines