Highlighted

Acrobat not recognizing/creating form fields (text fields & check boxes) created in INDD CC

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created a 2-page form with fields and properties assigned to them in INDD CC, exported PDF, opened PDF in Acrobat, selected "Prepare Form" only 8 of the fields created in INDD were recognized. (All but 1 field recognized on page 1 and none on page 2) Any idea how I can get all of the fields recognized according to the properties assigned to them in INDD?  thanks for any help.

Topics

Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, Macintosh, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat not recognizing/creating form fields (text fields & check boxes) created in INDD CC

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created a 2-page form with fields and properties assigned to them in INDD CC, exported PDF, opened PDF in Acrobat, selected "Prepare Form" only 8 of the fields created in INDD were recognized. (All but 1 field recognized on page 1 and none on page 2) Any idea how I can get all of the fields recognized according to the properties assigned to them in INDD?  thanks for any help.

Topics

Acrobat SDK and JavaScript, Macintosh, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Art-Chick,

Directly use the Prepare Form on the original document instead of first creating pdf & then using Prepare Form tool.

If the original document is not prepared neatly with proper spacing between the text & fields then it might be possible that the fields do not get recognized while preparing the PDF from by Acrobat application.

Please make the required changes in the original document before converting it to PDF form or add the fields using Acrobat application.

Regards,
Aadesh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aadesh - thank you for your response.

I tried what you suggested, preparing the form from the INDD file instead of an existing PDF. The results were the same as when I attempted to create the form from a PDF exported from INDD. Only the 8 of the 9 fields on the first page, and none of the fields on the second page were recognized. In creating the form in INDD I assigned the field type to each field (text box and check box) - a fairly simple form.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem when saving a from from FormsCentral to a pdf.  Some of the fields are not displaying in the pdf output though they can be seen in FormsCentral.  There is no selection for PrepareForm only to save as a pdf.  Any ideas how to make this work!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar problem where some form fields weren't generated in the pdf though they existed in my original indd document. I figured out that if you have a period in the form field name, it will not generate the field.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that when exporting from ID CC (Adobe presets, high-quality print) I had a significantly better result in "prepare form" when I hid the ID interactive features ("interactive elements - do not include".) 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF