Highlighted

Acrobat Pro 2017 closes when clicking "Create pdf/Scanner"

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newly intsalled Acrobat Pro 2017. The program runs fine except when I want to scan--which is my major need. From "Create PDF" I click "scanner." And then the whole program closes down. Until last week I was using Acrobat 9.0. After years of working fine, it started doing the same thing. I thought maybe it was old, so uninstalled and  just bought 2017. But nothing changed.

Details:

--Updated Acrobat 2017 to most recent.

--Uninstalled, powered down, reinstalled, powered down, rebooted, unpluged, re-plugged: all the ususal

--Running under Windows 10 Home v. 1903

--Dell 8900, 24 gb RAM, 2 tb HD

--Tried booting in Safe Mode and other Windows troubleshooting

--Scanner: had been Kodak i1220.  Problem arose while using that, Just changed to Epson FF0689W. Still same problem.

--Scanner does work with Windows Scan and Vuescan

I've seen older threads about nearly similar problems, with no real fix. Some suggest changing Windows Registry--which should be something users should be doing for an established product running on a well vetted OS. But even the, Registry code doesn't match up to anything I find.

This is very frustrating.

Topics

Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat Pro 2017 closes when clicking "Create pdf/Scanner"

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newly intsalled Acrobat Pro 2017. The program runs fine except when I want to scan--which is my major need. From "Create PDF" I click "scanner." And then the whole program closes down. Until last week I was using Acrobat 9.0. After years of working fine, it started doing the same thing. I thought maybe it was old, so uninstalled and  just bought 2017. But nothing changed.

Details:

--Updated Acrobat 2017 to most recent.

--Uninstalled, powered down, reinstalled, powered down, rebooted, unpluged, re-plugged: all the ususal

--Running under Windows 10 Home v. 1903

--Dell 8900, 24 gb RAM, 2 tb HD

--Tried booting in Safe Mode and other Windows troubleshooting

--Scanner: had been Kodak i1220.  Problem arose while using that, Just changed to Epson FF0689W. Still same problem.

--Scanner does work with Windows Scan and Vuescan

I've seen older threads about nearly similar problems, with no real fix. Some suggest changing Windows Registry--which should be something users should be doing for an established product running on a well vetted OS. But even the, Registry code doesn't match up to anything I find.

This is very frustrating.

Topics

Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bensquared,

We are sorry for the trouble and the experience. As described above the application is crashing when creating the PDF from scanner.

Would you mind sharing the exact version number of the Adobe Acrobat DC installed on your computer? To check the version of the application please use the help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html)

A new version of Adobe Acrobat 2017 is now available, version 17.011.30156. Please update the application to the new version. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

You may also, manually download the patch using the link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

You may also refer to the steps provided in the help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html) and see if that helps

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

Thanks for the response.

As noted in my original post, I had used the update facility in Help to be sure I had the latest version of Acrobat 2017. It is indeed 17.011.30156. This isn't my first troubleshooting rodeo and I am familiar with all the "first line" remedies, including trying to run the program as Administrator.

I also tried the suggestions in the Resolve Acrobat DC intermittent crashes.... article that I hadn't already attempted.

Note that when Acrobat crashes there is no error message. I just click "Scanner" and it closes. I've been a Windows users since v3.0 and various flavors of Adobe almost as long.

Other suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that the issue still persists.

As you have already tried the troubleshooting steps provided in the above help article with no success, please try the following steps and see if that helps:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuantely, this did not help. I used the recommended Cleaner Tool to remove Acrobat 2017, rebooted the computer, then reinstalled Acrobat--two times. After each time, I had the same problem: Acrobat closed immediately after clicking CreatePDF/Scanner. All other functions I tried worked. 

As a remidner, my scanner works fine with Epson scan software, Windows Scan, and Vue Scan. But none provide the functionality I get when Acrobat is working (not to mention the cost of Acrobat I incurred to upgrade from v 9 in the expectation that it would cure the same problem I still have).

I have no issues running anything else on my Windows 10 PC with 24gb of RAM.

Other suggestions? Or can I get a refund on Acrobat 2017 and live without it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Please make sure you have the latest drivers and firmware for the Kodack and Epson printer/scanner.

Also, please try to update the Windows OS.

If it still doesn't work, please try to create a new user profile and try using the application there and check for the issue.

If it still doesn't work, please download the Procmon tool here (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) run the tool and reproduce the issue, collect the process monitor logs of the profile in which you are experiencing the issue and share it with us via private message. Click on the message icon on the top right corner of the screen to start the private message.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the Adobe folder under the users AppData in folder Local, LocalLow, and Roaming folders. This worked for me just now. This is related to something within those folders.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fallenlucky702- Thanks for the suggestion. I did this, but the situation persists. Glad it worked for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines