Highlighted

Acrobat Pro DC crashes when processing digital signatures

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have users that are attempting to use Adobe Acrobat DC, Version 20.009.20063, but any time they go to sign a document using a certificate, it shows them their certs, but then crashes before the option to save the document anywhere.  There's no error message, it just closes.  If they attempt to open a document that has already been digitally signed it opens and then immediately closes before it fully loads.  Currently they are using Reader to sign documents instead, but obviously that limits their capabilities, as well as complicates ensuring the users are using the right program for what they need to do.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat Pro DC crashes when processing digital signatures

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have users that are attempting to use Adobe Acrobat DC, Version 20.009.20063, but any time they go to sign a document using a certificate, it shows them their certs, but then crashes before the option to save the document anywhere.  There's no error message, it just closes.  If they attempt to open a document that has already been digitally signed it opens and then immediately closes before it fully loads.  Currently they are using Reader to sign documents instead, but obviously that limits their capabilities, as well as complicates ensuring the users are using the right program for what they need to do.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 23, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry for the trouble. As described the application is crashing on opening/signing the PDF documents.

Are you trying to open the documents stored on a shared network/drive? If yes, please try to download the documents to your computer locally and then try to open with Adobe Acrobat DC and check.

As we can see you are using an old version 20.009.20063 of Adobe Acrobat DC, please update the application to the new version 20.009.20074 from the help menu > check for updates.

You may also download the patch manually using the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html and see if that helps.

If it still doesn't work please try to turn off the protected mode for testing and see if that makes any difference. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat DC (Mac) > Preferences > Enhanced Security  > Turn Off the protected mode and uncheck the enhanced security > Click ok
Note: Please turn on the security after testing.

Also, please check for any missing/pending updates for computer OS and try updating them.

You may also take a look at the help article listed below for more details.

1.For Mac - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-mac.html

2. For Windows - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did already try saving the documents to save them locally, and unfortunately the 20.009.20063 version is the latest that I am authorized to install on my network.  As far as the Enhance Security Mode goes, I was unable to change that through Adobe, the option was greyed out, but after I changed it in the registry users were again able to sign documents.  Obviously me going and editing the registry every time they need to sign a document is not feasible.  Can you provide me with what vulnerabilities I risk by leaving it unchecked, and/or any other steps that I might take to enable the digital signing functionality without unchecking it?  Oh, and the OS is as up-to date as I am currently able to make it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
Amal. LATEST
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry for the delay in response. As mentioned, the uders were able to sign again after changing the security settings.

Please take a look at the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/protected-view-feature-pdfs-windows.html and see if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0