• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC just closes when opening Find box (CTRL+F or Edit>Find)

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have had just noticed this issue I am having with Acrobat Pro DC. With any PDF open, if I press CTRL+F or Edit>Find to search the PDF, Acrobat just disappears, no error message, no "not responding" window, it just goes. Acrobat is up to date (Help>Check for updates says so).

I have tried the following with no resolve:

Edit menu > Preferences > Search and click on "Purge Cache Contents".

Can anyone help with this? I frequently need to search PDF documents, so this is most inconvenient!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

It did! It is now working again!

Help > Repair installation

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean it disappears?

Does Acrobat completely closes on you?

Does it always happes just when you try to use "Find" or is it happening with other tools too? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the Acrobat window just disappears. I press CTRL+F and the search box appears for a second, then Acrobat just closes with no warning. The search box appears partially under the toolbar / menu at the top if that helps at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I haven't tried any other tools, but will now...

Okay, If I open the advanced search window, it will find what I search for, then the same happens a second later. So, I enter a phrase to search for, press enter, it highlights it in the PDF and then Acrobat and the advanced search window both just close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting! 

Are you using MS Windows or macOS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 64-bit. It was working fine, but I can't remember when it was working last as I just presumed it was a specific document problem the last time I searched a PDF and is crashed. Acrobat definitely has not updated since it was working. I don't think Windows has updated either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently trying "Help > Repair installation". I'll post back if it helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did! It is now working again!

Help > Repair installation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! thanks for sharing your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok great.

I was going to suggest that and also the following:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to suggest this:

Restore the Acrobat Preferences folder to eliminate problems that damaged preferences cause. Most preference problems are caused by these file-based preferences, although most Acrobat preferences are stored within the registry.

Note:

This solution removes custom settings for Collaboration, JavaScripts, Security, Stamps, Color Management, AutoFill, Web Capture, and Updater.

• Quit Acrobat.

• In Windows Explorer, go to the Preferences folder:

• (Windows 10, 8, or 7) C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[version]

Note:

In Windows 10 or 8, if you cannot see the AppData folder, click the View menu on the ribbon in Windows Explorer and select the Hidden items checkbox under Show/Hide.

• Move the Preferences folder to another location (for example, C:\Temp).

• Restart Acrobat.

If the problem recurs after you restore the Acrobat Preferences folder, then the problem isn’t related to the Preferences folder. To restore custom settings, drag the folder you moved in step 2 back to its original location. Then click Yes To All to replace the new Preferences folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your replies. This gives me much confidence in receiving help if I have any Adobe related problems in the future. Fortunately, "Help > Repair installation" was all that was required to solve this issue, which was nice and easy. I do have a couple of issues since the latest Photoshop update, but I'll start a new thread when I have time to do so. Have a great weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your great help.

I found my Preferences folder under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\DC & other one folder is Preflight Acrobat Continious .

I have cut them by Ctrl+X , then pasted in a (Backup) folder on my Desktop .

After then open Acrobat DC and try to search. Now working fine.

Thank you for your helps.

Note : I am using Win 10 64Bit,

CPU: Ryzen5 3600X 

GPU: RX 5600XT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Go to Edit >> Preferences >> Search >> and un select the Fast search Option.

The can solve by doing this steps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue as Mehmet and this solved the closing of adobe issue for me when searching!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, Trlaing- I had the same problem and Help > Repair installation worked for me, too (Purging the cache contents didn't).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines