Highlighted

Acrobat Pro DC Mac - Save a form so data fields are not able to be edited

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobat Pro DC on a Mac. I have a form that I have entered data. I want to save the form so that the data / form fields are not able to be edited. 

I could print the form and then scan it but that seems incredibly inefficient to me. Seems like there should be a simple solution that I am missing. I appreciate any and all help.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat Pro DC Mac - Save a form so data fields are not able to be edited

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobat Pro DC on a Mac. I have a form that I have entered data. I want to save the form so that the data / form fields are not able to be edited. 

I could print the form and then scan it but that seems incredibly inefficient to me. Seems like there should be a simple solution that I am missing. I appreciate any and all help.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can flatten the fields, which is a process that converts the field appearances to regular page contents. One way to flatten a form is to use the flattenPages JavaScript method, which is at the heart of the following free utility: https://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/flattener/

The following JavaScript statement can also be easily executed in the interactive JavaScript console (Ctrl+J):

flattenPages();

by entering the code, placing the cursor on that line, and pressing Ctrl+Enter, or Enter on the numeric keypad. Slightly different on Mac. I use this all the time, and if you're planning to, you can make a custom tool in Acrobat to make is a bit easier, or use the utility linked to above for more functionality.

Note that this cannot be undone, so be sure to make a copy first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

++ Adding to the suggestion by George_Johnson

You can prevent users from printing, editing, or copying content in a PDF. You can set the restrictions you want to apply to the PDF. Users cannot change these restrictions unless you give them password.
For more information please look at the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/using/securing-pdfs-passwords.html#id_71066

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to add a Digital Signature field to the file and set it to lock all the fields when signed (via its Properties, Signed tab). Then sign it and save the file. This has the advantages that it's easy for you to reverse (by clearing the signature field), so the fields are editable again, while making sure that others can't edit them, or at least being able to prove if they did (because the signature will become invalidated). Even if you flatten the file someone with Acrobat will be able to edit it quite easily, but not if it's digitally signed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0