• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC no longer combines Word files to PDF

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working flawlessly Acrobat DC will not combine multiple Word files to a single PDF. Probably stopped about two to four weeks ago.

Haven't loaded any new programs on the computer, only done basic software updates from Microsoft, Adobe and Apply.  The error message is "No PDF file was created because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unidentified error."

I've read all the other forum discussions about this issue that have popped up over the past year. I've removed Acrobat using the AcroCleaner Too. I've removed it using Adobe CC, I've removed and reinstalled Microsoft Word (well all Office programs actually). I've rebooted, I've changed those "enhanced" security settings. I've tried putting the Word files on the local C: drive. I've tried doing it with new and old Word Docs. I've tried the .docx and .doc versions of the files. Nothing has worked.

I can make PDF's in Word from a Word document, and I can combine multiple PDF's into a single PDF file. This seems like a really basic function for Adobe. And it worked flawlessly before all this started. Its super frustrating.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and why it would inexplicably just start happening in the past month?

MacOS High Sierra, version 10.13.3

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, version 2018.009.20044

Microsoft Word for Mac, version 16.9.1

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

I spoke to Adobe technical support. They were very nice and helpful. They indicated that they are aware of the issue and that they are working on it. Something about a bug in certain Word updates that is causing the problem, not sure. They didn't provide a specific timeline but seemed to be all over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Kinldy check the version of microsoft office. 

i was trying to combine word file. 

changed version of office from 2013 to 2016 and it started working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the Create Multiple PDF files process does not work. Acrobat will open and close each Word file consecutively like its performing the conversion but gives a message "Cannot open document" for each Word document file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started having the exact same issue a few weeks ago. I tried everything to work around it. Finally called Adobe support this week to formally request a patch/bug fix. Adobe support insisted that there was no issue with Acrobat and refused to escalate the ticket. Frustrating indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats not good news. I don't doubt that something may have happened on the Microsoft Word software end but it seems like two of the biggest software manufacturers in the world could work this out. The problem is occurring within the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC program so it would be great if Adobe could address this issue clearly. Or work with Microsoft to figure out what went wrong over the past year. Its very mysterious.  This is an essential function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Have tried every trick I have found online.  Tried a totally different PC and unable to combine office documents into one file.

If I convert each file individually it works fine, and then combine just pdf's it's ok.

Any time a .doc or .xls is added, it fails.

Any help would be appreciated

Mac High Sierra

Adobe Acrobat XI pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to Adobe technical support. They were very nice and helpful. They indicated that they are aware of the issue and that they are working on it. Something about a bug in certain Word updates that is causing the problem, not sure. They didn't provide a specific timeline but seemed to be all over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

December of 2020, and I am having this issue... The only things that work are PDF files and images. No Word docs or Exel or anything like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is the solution.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
@="Word.Document.8"
"Content Type"="application/msword"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is the solution.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
@="Word.Document.8"

Then you can restart your PC/laptop before try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very nice of you to provide the solution, but for those of us who are not as sophisticated, it makes no sense.  Could you please put some meat on those bones?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is the solution.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
@="Word.Document.8"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of us that can only work with applications could you please elaborate more?  I know you need to go to the command prompt; do I just copy and paste? or what?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in your search bar, type "regedit" to open your registry editor.  from there, follow the directory from above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the issue was the 32 vs 64 bit version. I replaced the 64 bit with the 32 and everything worked. Not sure whether this works for others as well.

Verzonden vanaf mijn Galaxy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I need 64 bit version.

So my solution wotked for me with 64 bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Used to work in Acrobat 11; stopped working, so I bought Acrobat 17. Still doesn't work. Very frustrated.

Used Acrobat Cleaner and uninstalled Acrobat 17. Reinstalled. Still no joy.

MacOS High Sierra

Mac Word 16.10

Acrobat 17

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had the same problem.

But now I know it works.

Thanks for the help.

Ruskin

Apps4Rent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Im having the same issues trying to work with word documents, Its March 4, 2020. what was your solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What version ut MS Winword do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is the solution.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
@="Word.Document.8"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get this issue.  it show message that Cannot open document.

And, when I print MS Word with "Adobe PDF" printer, it create xxx.tmp file. Cause me to print twice for one pdf file.

Windows10

MS office 2016

Adobe Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I have found regarding the combine/convert files feature in Adobe Acrobat DC. 

Steps taken:

1:  Fresh install of Windows 10 x64 Enterprise v1709

2:  Installed Microsoft Office 2013 Pro Plus

3: Installed Acrobat DC and patched to version 2018.011.20040

4: Tested the convert/combine function and it’s working

5: Installed Microsoft Skype for Business 2016

6: Tested the convert/combine function which then errors

7: Applied registry fix and restarted

8: Tested the convert/combine function and it’s working

Basically Acrobat DC has a problem with Office 2016.  We use Office 2013 and didn't have any issues until we installed Skype for Business 2016.  The  registry keys need to be modified to set the MS Office compatible version.  I had a support ticket opened with Adobe regarding the combine/convert issues and after a month they closed it with no resolution.  So, I figured it out myself no thanks to them.  Of course this fix won't do anything for those of you with a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that word is not closing properly after converting each word document, If you look at the open programs in the task manager, there will be an instance or multiple instances of word running in the background even if your task bar doesn't show that word is open, If you force quit word through the task manager after each time acrobat converts a word file, acrobat continue on combining until it converts the next word document, While this is not a solution, it may be an insight to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill, you were spot on with Skype being the problem.

We've run into issues before when having different versions of Skype and Office suite installed, specifically Skype 2016 and Office 2013.  I had a computer that was able to combine the word files and change them to a PDF just fine until I installed Skype 2016. After that I was no longer able to do so.  Removing Skype and repairing Office allowed me to once again merge the Word Docs and make them PDFs.

My users will be happy!  Thanks again.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What regkey did you have to change to get this to work? We are having the same issue that when you try to combine a list of word documents into a pdf then minimize the adobe window that window keeps popping up during the conversion. We have Skype for business 2016 installed also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines