• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC no longer combines Word files to PDF

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working flawlessly Acrobat DC will not combine multiple Word files to a single PDF. Probably stopped about two to four weeks ago.

Haven't loaded any new programs on the computer, only done basic software updates from Microsoft, Adobe and Apply.  The error message is "No PDF file was created because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unidentified error."

I've read all the other forum discussions about this issue that have popped up over the past year. I've removed Acrobat using the AcroCleaner Too. I've removed it using Adobe CC, I've removed and reinstalled Microsoft Word (well all Office programs actually). I've rebooted, I've changed those "enhanced" security settings. I've tried putting the Word files on the local C: drive. I've tried doing it with new and old Word Docs. I've tried the .docx and .doc versions of the files. Nothing has worked.

I can make PDF's in Word from a Word document, and I can combine multiple PDF's into a single PDF file. This seems like a really basic function for Adobe. And it worked flawlessly before all this started. Its super frustrating.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and why it would inexplicably just start happening in the past month?

MacOS High Sierra, version 10.13.3

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, version 2018.009.20044

Microsoft Word for Mac, version 16.9.1

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

I spoke to Adobe technical support. They were very nice and helpful. They indicated that they are aware of the issue and that they are working on it. Something about a bug in certain Word updates that is causing the problem, not sure. They didn't provide a specific timeline but seemed to be all over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Kinldy check the version of microsoft office. 

i was trying to combine word file. 

changed version of office from 2013 to 2016 and it started working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I'm having the same issues. Can you provide the registry fix you reference? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is the solution.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
@="Word.Document.8"
"Content Type"="application/msword"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the computer illiterate, can you please explain how to use that fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes.

Start Regedit

Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Click on .doc

Double click on (Default)

...and then you can type in "Word.Document.8" i the field Value data:

Press OK och close Regedit.

Then restart the PC.

After restart it should work i Adobe Acrobat to combine MS Word files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has worked partly for me. Combining files takes too long, error message showing "Starting the application which created the selected document, please wait..." Takes up to one minute to insert the selected word document, sometimes even fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum: Additionally, the inserted Word docs remain open and have to be closed each one individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have no ideal from what you write how to fix the problem - What and where do you change 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

have you tried x64 version of Adobe Acrobat Pro in Windows 11?

//Rickard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, this problem was solved when I removed the 64 bit version of Office 365 and installed the 32 bit version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue when .doc and .docx files are being used in the combination.

I have 32 bit version of office installed. and the registry looks as you say it should with reg fix.

I'm on version 1909 of windows 10 (Build 18363.815), Office is 365 ProPlus version 1908 (Build 11929.20648)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it took me a year to find the solution. i went up to adobe third level. they were very he;pful, but unable to solve. i learned from them that there can be all kind of reasons for this to occur.  the combination of windows 10, office 365 and adobe dc is very instable, especially on 64 bit machines....  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!! So very frustrating. I now have to open 12 word docs and save to PDF prior to combining.... I'm getting seriously frustrated with programme updates of late - effective / productive actions / shortcuts are taken away, and actions that weren't broken are changed to a longer method to achieve the same result - totally confusing TF out of everyone and frustrating as hell! Adobe.... please only release updates when there is an improvement. slapping a different coloured lipstick on the interface and taking away commonly used shortcuts / helpful features is not helpful!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this finally. It has been caused by 64 bit Windows. I changed to 32 bit and it worked !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinldy check the version of microsoft office. 

i was trying to combine word file. 

changed version of office from 2013 to 2016 and it started working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I see this issue was in 2018 but I suddenly exp0erience it it now on the newset version of Acrobat DC Pro. .doc and docx files do not appear in the list of allowed files and there is no way to add them in Preferences. Thi is extremely annoying, keeping in mind Adobe Suit prices etc. Does anyone knows what is going on and what is the fix? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I was able to go around this was to purchase and use a different program, specifically for this task. I used "Small PDF", and it was flawless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did some registry adjusting.  i saved my notes as a pdf.  i can email it to you still need it.  

Platform.  Win 10 Pro, Office 2019 Pro+

Acrobat XI Pro - works

Acrobat 2017 Pro - works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to share your registry notes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this helps. I forgot to mention that I ran the Office
Installation "repair" from Control Panel first to see if it made a
difference before manually entering these values into the registry.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

kou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...try running "repair" on your Adobe app first, before changing your registry.

Control Panel/Progams and Features -> Adobe -> Change -> Repair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its 2023 and I'm having this issue.. I've been using this software for close to 8 years and I noticed last year that I was having issues combining documents into PDF when there is a mixture of word and excel. If its just PDF documents I have no issue however word and excel causes errors and I have to go and convert each document to pdf before I can compile the document.. So frustrating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what version Acrobat & Office are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I'm on a Mac with Pro DC and Office 365 version of Word.... It STILL doesn't work in October of 2023.  Apparently, they didn't realize how many people were using this software?  It's my System's print function that is converting the Word files to  PDF to enable me to drag them into the existing PDF too, not Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines