• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC not using embedded index in search

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently downloaded Acrobat Pro DC - version 2020.009.20074.

I have added an embedded index to a PDF file. When using the advanced search in Acrobat Pro the search does not used the embedded index info but instead still slowly searches page by page. I came across an article that stated since 2018 the embedded search is turned off. You have to add a registry entry "bToggleUseEmbeddedIndex" to enable embedded searches. I add this registry entry and it still doesn't work. This is incredibly frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. Using an older acrobat reader does search using embedded index info. Why was this feature removed / disabled?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also confused why this was removed. Very strange. I have a ~100MB PDF shared among hundreds of colleagues, and it would save time for everyone to generate the index once with Acrobat and save it into the file, then everyone automatically uses it.

In fact I can't evne figure out how to create an index anymore. I have Acrobat Standard DC, but when I open the Tools window per https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/creating-pdf-indexes.html I do not have any "Index" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a search index with Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot get to it via the Text-based View > Tools. You have to open the tools panel and scroll down to Customize and select Index. You will need Acrobat Pro DC.

maxwithdax_1-1661080501381.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have Pro, so that explains it. The help page says nothing about Pro being required for indexing, and it implies it's not required due to stuff further down the page where it specifically says Pro is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines