• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC stops responding (and Task Manager shows 'Very high' power usage)

Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I have Acrobat Pro DC (continuous update I believe it's called. Of course, it just crashed when I went to confirm the version :-))

Running on Windows 10.  16GB RAM. i7-8700K cpu

I have two main problems that have arisen in the past month. This is one (I'll put the other in another topic.)

This mainly happens if I've been running Acrobat for several hours (but sometimes even much shorter periods).

I'll have one or more documents open - some of these are shared reviews usually.

I'll be working, adding comments or navigating the doc when ... it stops (spinning icon, iirc). Just sits. And sits. And sits. For anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Invariably, when I open Windows 10 Task Manager, Acrobat shows the Power usage status as 'Very high'.

I can either kill the process or wait. If I wait, I eventually get control again, and the Power usage has reverted to Very low.

Save everything, quit Acrobat, restart it, and it's good again. For a while.

This has only started happening in the past month.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  Jaggedpeak

We are sorry for the trouble. As described Acrobat shows high power usage while opening or adding comments to the PDF

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If it s a file specific issue please share the file with us for testing.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC you are using? To check the version please refer to the help article Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC 

Make sure you have the latest version 20.009.20067 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.  and see if that helps.

Are you on a Mac or Windows machine and what is the version of the OS? Please try to repair the installation (For Windows Only) Go to Help > Repair Installation and see if that works.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal.

I'll try the Repair Installation when I get out of the weeds --- too many things that are time-sensitive right now to take a chance on making things worse 🙂

This is happening with all PDFs (or rather, it happens with a variety). I have several reviews (~15-10) actively being updated by reviewers. I also have another 50 or so that have ended. (I *had* far more than that before, but I culled them to see if that would make a difference. It didn't.)

Using the latest version, and running on Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. i7-8700K CPU @ 3.79GHz, and 16GB RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal.

As noted, already on the latest release.

No further updates to apply.

Did the repair installation. No difference.

Problem is still occuring.

While skimming the latest posts in the forum today, I came across this one: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/incredibly-slow/td-p/11230871?page=1

That one's happening on Mac. Mine's happening on Windows.

But the similarity is we're both getting seriously hampered by Acrobat spinning off into oblivion doing who-knows-what.

What can I do to help you debug this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Is the PDF file located on a shared network/drive? if yes please try to download the PDF to your comouter locally and then try to open it with Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC

Also,for testing purpose please try to turn off the protected mode and see if that works for. Go to Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Turn Off the protected mode and uncheck the enhanced security > Clock OK

Note: Please turn on the security after testing

If it still doesn't work, please create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check .

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - and it's getting worse every day.  Often the first pdf file I open doesn't even fully open - and these are often small files, less than 500 kb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BimLeo

We are sorry to hear that, would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC and the OS you are using?  Please make sure you have the recent update 21.07.20099 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once. 

Also, go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Page Display > Under Rendering, Uncheck 'Use Page Cache' > Click OK and reboot the computer once.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unchecking the 'Use Page Cache'  flag helped with power usage on Windows 10 as well. Thank you for this tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can someone help me please.

I have been experiencing all kinds of problems with my Acrobat Reader, including VERY HIGH power usage. Eventually I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it. No change at all. Still same problems. Only now I have another one: somehow Acrobate Reader DC 32-bit has installed itself on my computer. As well as the 64-bit which automatically installed.

Would appreciate help not only on the power usage but also on the 32-bit issue.

Many thanks

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Would you mind sharing the steps and the link you used to install the application?

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html  , reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines