Highlighted

Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Pro signature conflicts.

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My organization is having an issue with users who receive a document from one version and try to sign it with the other. It doesn't matter which order, meaning that Acrobat reader DC sending a document to Acrobat Pro and vice versa get the error "At least one signature has problems" even users who have both installed are having this issue. We have looked at this page: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/etk_deprecated/tools/DigSig/planning.html#pki-trust and would like to investigate the issue between the two versions before we potentially waste our time setting up the predeployment options. Users who receive and sign a document made with the same version (eg. PRO to PRO or Reader to Reader) can still sign and do not receive an error. Only when the versions are mixed is it a problem. We were curious whether or not anyone had experienced this problem as I have had terrible luck finding anything online. 

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, General troubleshooting, PDF forms, Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Pro signature conflicts.

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My organization is having an issue with users who receive a document from one version and try to sign it with the other. It doesn't matter which order, meaning that Acrobat reader DC sending a document to Acrobat Pro and vice versa get the error "At least one signature has problems" even users who have both installed are having this issue. We have looked at this page: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/etk_deprecated/tools/DigSig/planning.html#pki-trust and would like to investigate the issue between the two versions before we potentially waste our time setting up the predeployment options. Users who receive and sign a document made with the same version (eg. PRO to PRO or Reader to Reader) can still sign and do not receive an error. Only when the versions are mixed is it a problem. We were curious whether or not anyone had experienced this problem as I have had terrible luck finding anything online. 

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, General troubleshooting, PDF forms, Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 19, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably the first step is to examine the report about what the problems are, in detail. Especially, too, see if it is the same problem in each direction.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any error logs, nor does it provide any information beyond this. If it does store logs somewhere that would be great. I cant find them though.

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this is because the certificate hasn't been imported. Maybe this is relevant: https://codesteps.com/2014/01/13/how-to-resolve-at-least-one-signature-has-problems-error-in-adobe-r... though trusting certificates from a document is indeed unwise. Was there an exchange of certificates at some time?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly i am not certain about the importing or exchange of certificates, but we can fix the problem using that link's method on one machine at a time. we want to be able to prevent the issue at the root if we can.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the root issue is that you can't just trust a certificate because it arrived with someone's name in it. If you're going to do that, there's no point having certificates at all, because anyone could make a certificate with anyone's name, and sign with it. Generally, there should be a process where certificates are safely exchanged OR a method of checking trust within your organisation OR certificates issued by a world recognised repository. How that is done in a typical working environment is something for someone else to answer, but I recommend you post the source of your certificates to get started. But presumably this WAS done at some time in the past, or there is something else behind the scenes...?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a corporate department above us. Nobody that works with me knows how exactly our certs are managed. You have given me the right questions to ask, thank you. I am going to start talking to corporate people who would have a better idea about all this than I do.

Thanks for your time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0