• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat replaces NTFS permissions of Temp folder

Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro v11.0.1

I have set location of my Temp folder to another drive F:.

This folder is pointed by both %TEMP% and %TMP% environment variables.

My user (ex. "SomeDomain\SomeUser") belongs to Adminstrators group and set as owner of this folder.

Acrobat is run under regular privileges of my account (UAC is default).

At random time intervals Acrobat would change the NTFS file permissions of the Temp folder and remove my user (i.e. "SomeDomain\SomeUser") from the permissions list.

Here is an audit event log entry (EventID 4670):

Permissions on an object were changed.

Subject:

Security ID:        SomeDomain\SomeUser

Account Name:        SomeUser

Account Domain:        SomeDomain

Logon ID:        0xbf91d

Object:

Object Server:    Security

Object Type:    File

Object Name:    F:\Temp

Handle ID:    0x424

Process:

Process ID:    0x69c

Process Name:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Permissions Change:

Original Security Descriptor:    D:PAI(A;OICI;0x1201ff;;;WD)(A;OICI;FA;;;S-1-5-21-1707761498-773545259-750896631-1000)(A;OICI;FA;;;BA)(A;OICI;FA;;;SY)

New Security Descriptor:    D:PARAI(A;;FA;;;BA)(A;OICIIO;GA;;;BA)(A;;0x1201df;;;WD)(A;OICIIO;DTGWGR;;;WD)

This causes various runtime errors when installing application.

This issue is also discussed here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/cant-install-any-applications/7f...

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution is simple

1. Create one small partition in your hard disk (1 GB or less)

2. Format that new partition with FAT32

3. Put your personal temp folder in that partition

4. Enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Really? Is this an official work around? Why did this take so long to happen to me?@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thunderbird "failed to send" and some error about "could not attach . " As if period were something I was trying to attach! DropBox died with errors. I could not uninstall any software. Why? The permissions on my Windows User Temp file (...Users\username\AppData\Local\temp) had been changed. It wasn't really obvious, but my user had been removed. I Added my user back to the permissions, and all these software problems went away. So I uninstalled Adobe Reader XI from my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine. Am I really supposed to create a temp folder PARTITION as FAT32 and point my whole operating system to it from everywhere, hoping software will follow the path rather than expect it to be where it should be? Why after years hasn't Adobe fixed this? How did you find the event in your log, @P_Petras? Thanks for your post! Lots of views!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines