Highlighted

Acrobat to Word problem

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read that this can be done BUT ...

I have an ID book of 140 pages and need to translate in to Word. I export it as a PDF and close ID. I then open it in Acrobat and go to export it as a Word document. Unfortunately it fails everytime.

I get the message "The specified file could not be written to. It may be in use."

I have closed everything else on my MAC. Thoughts????

NOTE: The document is totally text.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat to Word problem

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read that this can be done BUT ...

I have an ID book of 140 pages and need to translate in to Word. I export it as a PDF and close ID. I then open it in Acrobat and go to export it as a Word document. Unfortunately it fails everytime.

I get the message "The specified file could not be written to. It may be in use."

I have closed everything else on my MAC. Thoughts????

NOTE: The document is totally text.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote: ""I get the message "The specified file could not be written to. It may be in use."

It means that your computer system says that the file is in use by a program on your computer, so it can't override it. Suggestions:

• Try giving the new export-to-word file a new name.
  • Restart your computer (to flush out any memory), open the PDF, and export it to Word.

Question: SInce you're starting with an InDesign file, why not export to Word directly from InDesign? By pass Acrobat and PDF entirely.

Bevi Chagnon | Designer & Technologist for Accessible InDesign + PDFs | Books @ www.PubCom.com/books — NEW! Accessible InDesign + PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this article.

https://redokun.com/blog/indesign-to-word

If you got this error, “The specified file could not be written to. It may be in use”, try to save the exported file in a different folder. That generally solves the issue.  If you have any other error, try saving the file in a different folder with the Word 97 - 2003 Document format.

Also don't expect 100% perfect results.  Keep your InDesign layout simple and the resulting MS Word document should need only a little re-working.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0