• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat to Word problem

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read that this can be done BUT ...

I have an ID book of 140 pages and need to translate in to Word. I export it as a PDF and close ID. I then open it in Acrobat and go to export it as a Word document. Unfortunately it fails everytime.

I get the message "The specified file could not be written to. It may be in use."

I have closed everything else on my MAC. Thoughts????

NOTE: The document is totally text.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote: ""I get the message "The specified file could not be written to. It may be in use."

It means that your computer system says that the file is in use by a program on your computer, so it can't override it. Suggestions:

• Try giving the new export-to-word file a new name.
  • Restart your computer (to flush out any memory), open the PDF, and export it to Word.

Question: SInce you're starting with an InDesign file, why not export to Word directly from InDesign? By pass Acrobat and PDF entirely.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this article.

https://redokun.com/blog/indesign-to-word

If you got this error, “The specified file could not be written to. It may be in use”, try to save the exported file in a different folder. That generally solves the issue.  If you have any other error, try saving the file in a different folder with the Word 97 - 2003 Document format.

Also don't expect 100% perfect results.  Keep your InDesign layout simple and the resulting MS Word document should need only a little re-working.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue but running VBA Excel procedure. A manual process to export file to Word Document does not raise any error. Smooth.

A few days  ago this does not happen. Might it be related to security setting somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of steps will eventually solve the issue for anyone interested :

1/ Make sure that Thumbnail Preview is disabled in Acrobat (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/enable-pdf-thumbnail-preview-windows-explorer.html)

2/ Make sure that in your Window Explorer, thumbnail preview is also disabled (https://kb.foxitsoftware.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046399271-How-to-disable-the-PDF-thumbnail-preview...)

3/ Enable trusted location for Acrobat (Edit>Preferences> Security (Enhanced))

4/ Enable trusted location for Excel application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, this did not work. The code runs on my machine but on my client's machine its giving the error of file may be in use. I triedd this on another computer with acrobat pro DC and it works fine. Any idea what else could cause this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines