• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X - Cannot combine files with digital signatures

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded to Acrobat Pro X (from Acrobat Pro 7).  For many years, we have been using the digital signature feature to "approve" documents.  Frequently, we have the need to combine many (from several to hundreds) of these "approved" documents (with digital signatures) into one .pdf file.  However, Acrobat X Pro will not let us combine these files into one file.  When we try this, the first screen(first image below) indicates that the digital signatures will be removed during merge.  However, when we proceed, we get an error message (2nd image below) for all of the files with digital signature.

So my question is: How can we combine many .pdf files with Digital signatures into one new file?

(We need for users with previous versions to be able to open this new file, and we need to place a watermark on the file).

Thanks in advance for any help!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Combine the files as portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue in Acrobat X, with combination of PDF(s) with digital signatures as "Single PDF".

As a work around, you could combine the PDF(s) into a PDF Portfolio.

Regards,

Devyani.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a work around for Acrobat X?  We do not have pro, and cannot make this work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please patch to Acrobat 10.1, the issue is fixed herein.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have diligently searched the acrobat website but I can't even find the place to download fixes, much less that one. If you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can instead go to Acrobat > HELP > opt CHECK FOR UPDATES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded all updates, but it still will not keep the digital signatures when I combine files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For PDFs w/ digital signatures, the signatures are removed before combining into a Single PDF.

Earlier, the combination was failing at this step, hence was skipping PDF(s) with signatures, which is the issue reported in the original post. This has been fixed in Acrobat 10.1.

What you're seeing is expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Acrobat X does not have the Portfolio option available, only the Pro version, so, now what?  This is a program problem, and it needs to be fixed by Adobe.  My old version works great, and I bought 9 copies of this Acrobat X stuff, only to find it doesn't work correctly!  Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with you Kevin!  Adobe, are you listening?  This question is not answered!  We need a solution for Acrobat X!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

his is a U2U forum. I suggest that you use Feature Request/Bug Report Form and Adobe will be notified of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the signed pdf in Adobe.
2. Open print dialogue (Ctrl+p)
3. Change the printer to "Microsoft Print to PDF" then print.
4. The newly created PDF will have the signatures and will behave as a normal pdf for combine/merge activities.

Screenshot 2021-01-15 150132.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EdZooks, thanks, but that is nonsense. The file will NOT have the signatures. Printing cannot preserve digital signatures, only pictures of signatures, which are useless and not legally valid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Test Screen Name's" comment deserves some consideration.  My suggested approach converts the digitally signed document to a standard pdf.  The result displays the signature information but the underlying digital signature is lost.  In my case the original signers understand the distinction. 

Creating a summary file is my goal.  I combine a variety of digitally signed, along with other related, documentation into a single summary pdf.  The original, digitally signed documents, are stored for future reference.  I am increasingly convinced that it is not possible to combine digitally signed documents into a single, summary pdf, while maintaining the underlying digital signatures.  

Users needing summary packets will benefit from my suggested approach.  However as "Test Screen Name" suggests, my approach remains "legally valid" to the extent that the original digitally signed documents are available on demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines